lil_lily__
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hi! Im actually finished with my EPQ (just need to do the presentation now), but I wanted to double check my title!

Bascially, my current title is "A Critical Analysis of Cannabis-Based Medicine" - is that a good format for my title?

I know it seems odd, its just that my supervisor told me to go with that, but yesterday I went to ask the sixth form head a question (as my supervisor hadn't replied to my message), and it turns out that half the things my supervisor told me were wrong so now im concerned about my title as I haven't checked it properly with anyone else!

Does my title need to be a question / a "to what extent" question? I think it would be pretty easy to reword it, but as it would be slightly inconvenient I want to check for other opinions first!
chris01928
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by lil_lily__)
Hi! Im actually finished with my EPQ (just need to do the presentation now), but I wanted to double check my title!

Bascially, my current title is "A Critical Analysis of Cannabis-Based Medicine" - is that a good format for my title?

I know it seems odd, its just that my supervisor told me to go with that, but yesterday I went to ask the sixth form head a question (as my supervisor hadn't replied to my message), and it turns out that half the things my supervisor told me were wrong so now im concerned about my title as I haven't checked it properly with anyone else!

Does my title need to be a question / a "to what extent" question? I think it would be pretty easy to reword it, but as it would be slightly inconvenient I want to check for other opinions first!
EPQs' are normally "To What extent" questions because it would be pointless to write an essay on a simple topic. Cannabinoid-based medicine seems like a question where there are lots of arguments and counter-arguments. If your main point is legality or efficacy focus on that in your question. My EPQ was about a diagnostic model doctors should use called the Biopsychosocial model and therefore my title was: "To what extent should physicians rely on the Biopsychosocial model when treating a patient?" I think the importance of your question is to always link to it during your essay and to then have a conclusion which unequivocally answers it with all of the evidence you have provided.

Basically think about what are you critically analysing instead of just stating it as a critical analysis. EPQ markers go weak at the knees when they see "To what extent". If it's too inconvenient though, don't waste your time.

Good luck
Last edited by chris01928; 3 weeks ago
lil_lily__
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by chris01928)
EPQs' are normally "To What extent" questions because it would be pointless to write an essay on a simple topic. Cannabinoid-based medicine seems like a question where there are lots of arguments and counter-arguments. If your main point is legality or efficacy focus on that in your question. My EPQ was about a diagnostic model doctors should use called the Biopsychosocial model and therefore my title was: "To what extent should physicians rely on the Biopsychosocial model when treating a patient?" I think the importance of your question is to always link to it during your essay and to then have a conclusion which unequivocally answers it with all of the evidence you have provided.

Basically think about what are you critically analysing instead of just stating it as a critical analysis. EPQ markers go weak at the knees when they see "To what extent". If it's too inconvenient though, don't waste your time.

Good luck
Thank you! My project kinda covers a lot of the different aspects of medical cannabis (namely what is it, how it works, what it can/could treat and the ethical + legal complications of it in practice), so I'm not sure how I could structure it as a question without making a good chunk of my project irrelevant?
chris01928
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by lil_lily__)
Thank you! My project kinda covers a lot of the different aspects of medical cannabis (namely what is it, how it works, what it can/could treat and the ethical + legal complications of it in practice), so I'm not sure how I could structure it as a question without making a good chunk of my project irrelevant?
Well to me, it seems like the "how it works, what it can/could treat and the ethical" side of the topic is the 'medicinal use and the "legal complications of it in practice" seems like the non-medical component, so a question could be:

"To what extent does non-medical factors impose restrictions on the medicinal uses of Cannabinoid-based medicine?"

Or if the non-medical component is just legal justification for its complete ban then a question could be: "To what extent does the current legal framework for Cannabinoid-based medicine restrict the best interest of patients in a clinical setting?" (you could take out 'in a clinical setting' if it does not fit within your essay)

Just a few ideas, don't know if any of them fit contextually.
lil_lily__
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by chris01928)
Well to me, it seems like the "how it works, what it can/could treat and the ethical" side of the topic is the 'medicinal use and the "legal complications of it in practice" seems like the non-medical component, so a question could be:

"To what extent does non-medical factors impose restrictions on the medicinal uses of Cannabinoid-based medicine?"

Or if the non-medical component is just legal justification for its complete ban then a question could be: "To what extent does the current legal framework for Cannabinoid-based medicine restrict the best interest of patients in a clinical setting?" (you could take out 'in a clinical setting' if it does not fit within your essay)

Just a few ideas, don't know if any of them fit contextually.
Ooo okay, thank you!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling now you've started university?

I'm loving it! (51)
13.93%
I'm enjoying it but I'm still settling in (94)
25.68%
I'm a bit unsure (63)
17.21%
I'm finding things difficult (127)
34.7%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (31)
8.47%

Watched Threads