medicalmentality
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Cannot decide between Bristol, Sheffield, and Southampton for medicine. What uni would you choose and why?
econhelp525
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Probably Southampton because it's pretty.

Personally, however, I wouldn't want to study at any of them because none of them are campus universities, but that's just a personal preference.
McGinger
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
For Med you need to apply very strategically - include at least two non-London Unis and at least one that is less 'fashionable' - ie. Keele, Sunderland etc. You stand more chance of actually getting an interview at one of these because the application numbers are lower - and the NHS will not care where you trained, and neither will your patients. All courses are accredited as equal by the GMC so Medicine is not about 'best' Uni - there isnt one.

You also need to look carefully at how each Uni assesses applications - is there a BMAT or UCAT cut-off, what weighting is there to A levels etc. Play to your strengths and dont waste a choice on a courses where you clearly have little chance of an interview. There is a whole thread about this in the Medicine Forum : https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=7102578
medicalmentality
Rep:
?
(Original post by McGinger)
For Med you need to apply very strategically - include at least two non-London Unis and at least one that is less 'fashionable' - ie. Keele, Sunderland etc. You stand more chance of actually getting an interview at one of these because the application numbers are lower - and the NHS will not care where you trained, and neither will your patients. All courses are accredited as equal by the GMC so Medicine is not about 'best' Uni - there isnt one.

You also need to look carefully at how each Uni assesses applications - is there a BMAT or UCAT cut-off, what weighting is there to A levels etc. Play to your strengths and dont waste a choice on a courses where you clearly have little chance of an interview. There is a whole thread about this in the Medicine Forum : https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=7102578
Yes, I agree; I'm planning on applying to Aston and Anglia Ruskin as my safe choices. I'm applying to Newcastle also because I classify as a contextual student and therefore I can receive a reduced offer. My UCAT scores for all of these unis sit comfortably above previous thresholds, so I'm fairly certain I'm almost guaranteed an interview at each of these unis, it's just a matter of converting my interview into an offer. My UCAT is 2900 B2 and is higher than what Sheffield, Bristol, and Southampton required last year by about 100-200 points. I'm leaning towards Southampton though because the interview : offer ratio was 79% last year, higher than Sheffield and Bristol which were 60% and 50%, but I also want to choose a uni that has an appealing campus, good night life and good facilities. But the problem is they all have these qualities and I cant nail it down to one. 😭 I cant visit them either because I dont have the funds and I live very far from them all. I just wanted to see other peoples opinions and ask which one they thought is most appealing
Last edited by medicalmentality; 3 weeks ago
medicalmentality
Rep:
?
(Original post by econhelp525)
Probably Southampton because it's pretty.

Personally, however, I wouldn't want to study at any of them because none of them are campus universities, but that's just a personal preference.
Ah I thought Southampton was a campus uni. Theyre all really pretty ahaha can't decide which one is the prettiest though.
McGinger
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by medicalmentality)
Ah I thought Southampton was a campus uni. Theyre all really pretty ahaha can't decide which one is the prettiest though.
Both S'ton iand Bristol campuses are built around one area of the city but each has public roads running through it.

Bristol : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khM7tjui86Q
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling now you've started university?

I'm loving it! (51)
13.93%
I'm enjoying it but I'm still settling in (94)
25.68%
I'm a bit unsure (63)
17.21%
I'm finding things difficult (127)
34.7%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (31)
8.47%

Watched Threads