[Medicine] Which Cambridge College should I apply to as a mature student?

Watch
YOGU
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hello everyone,

So, I am a mature applicant with decent academic background and this year I've decided to apply for Medicine at Cambridge but apparently each college has different level of difficulty and some are harder to get into than others (?). Now, I'm unsure which (mature) college is better to apply to since my grades are higher than the requirements but I don't wanna make things harder for myself by applying to a college that is inherently harder to get into.

I appreciate any sort of help/advice/guidance, etc. Thanks in advance.
161BMW
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I think you should ask for this to get moved into oxbridge or medicine forums as people there will know better.
YOGU
Rep:
?
(Original post by 161BMW)
I think you should ask for this to get moved into oxbridge or medicine forums as people there will know better.
Hello and thank you so much. Do you know how I can do that by any chance? I can't see any move button.
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by YOGU)
Hello everyone,

So, I am a mature applicant with decent academic background and this year I've decided to apply for Medicine at Cambridge but apparently each college has different level of difficulty and some are harder to get into than others (?). Now, I'm unsure which (mature) college is better to apply to since my grades are higher than the requirements but I don't wanna make things harder for myself by applying to a college that is inherently harder to get into.

There's no academic difference between colleges, the problem is the number of students that don't think further than Trinity, Kings and St Johns that then skew the application figures.

Just decide whether you want an all age or a mature only College, and then pick the one that you'd like to live in the most.
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by YOGU)
Hello everyone,

Apparently not... This is not true.

Note that nearly all successful applicants have higher and more grades than the minimum requirements.

All three mature/graduate colleges accept undergrads for medicine, both the standard course and the accelerated one. Wolfson probably has the largest number of mature students doing medicine, but there are equally students at Lucy and St. Eds. Research them online and see which you like the look of.
lostapplicant
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
My sister studied med at Newnham as grad entry a few years ago.
Maybe try female colleges such as ME or newnham, but the bad thing is that if u get pooled basically no college will pick u up. Or try relatively more competitive colleges at the first place, St Johns, Kings etc, at least there’s still chance to be picked up if you get pooled
161BMW
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by YOGU)
Hello and thank you so much. Do you know how I can do that by any chance? I can't see any move button.
Tag one of the mods or PM one of the mods or just post the thread again in medicine or oxbridge forum.
YOGU
Rep:
?
(Original post by threeportdrift)
There's no academic difference between colleges, the problem is the number of students that don't think further than Trinity, Kings and St Johns that then skew the application figures.

Just decide whether you want an all age or a mature only College, and then pick the one that you'd like to live in the most.
Thank you very much! Just one more question, for the all age colleges, is there any difference between mature students and other students? Or, it's the same process for everyone involved?

(Original post by Reality Check)
Apparently not... This is not true.

Note that nearly all successful applicants have higher and more grades than the minimum requirements.

All three mature/graduate colleges accept undergrads for medicine, both the standard course and the accelerated one. Wolfson probably has the largest number of mature students doing medicine, but there are equally students at Lucy and St. Eds. Research them online and see which you like the look of.
Thanks a lot. That makes a lot of sense. I love Fitzwilliam college but I don't know a mature applicant can apply to them.

(Original post by lostapplicant)
My sister studied med at Newnham as grad entry a few years ago.
Maybe try female colleges such as ME or newnham, but the bad thing is that if u get pooled basically no college will pick u up. Or try relatively more competitive colleges at the first place, St Johns, Kings etc, at least there’s still chance to be picked up if you get pooled
Thank you very much. That seems a very good option, I will definitely look into it.
YOGU
Rep:
?
(Original post by 161BMW)
Tag one of the mods or PM one of the mods or just post the thread again in medicine or oxbridge forum.
Thank you so much! I'll just post it there now.
YOGU
Rep:
?
Hello everyone,

Last edited by YOGU; 3 weeks ago
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Maybe try female colleges such as ME or newnham, but the bad thing is that if u get pooled basically no college will pick u up.
This isn't true. You're just as likely to be fished from the pool having originally applied to M.E. or Newnham as you are if you applied to any other college as a first choice.
melancollege
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
You shouldn't try to pick one based on its supposed difficulty to get into: the pooling system means that your likelihood of getting an offer from the university as a whole shouldn't be affected. As a mature student, you may want to consider a mature college since they may be more understanding of your situation but if you have the required prerequisite grades that have been done recently enough to still be of value, you should really just pick whichever college feels right to you.
YOGU
Rep:
?
(Original post by melancollege)
You shouldn't try to pick one based on its supposed difficulty to get into: the pooling system means that your likelihood of getting an offer from the university as a whole shouldn't be affected. As a mature student, you may want to consider a mature college since they may be more understanding of your situation but if you have the required prerequisite grades that have been done recently enough to still be of value, you should really just pick whichever college feels right to you.
Thank you very much. That makes a lot of sense. Just one question, if we get pooled should we manually apply to a different college and also, do we have to go another interview as well?
melancollege
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by YOGU)
Thank you very much. That makes a lot of sense. Just one question, if we get pooled should we manually apply to a different college and also, do we have to go another interview as well?
If you get pooled you get allocated to the college that selects you (if one does) so you don't have choice with it
YOGU
Rep:
?
(Original post by melancollege)
If you get pooled you get allocated to the college that selects you (if one does) so you don't have choice with it
Thank you so much!
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by YOGU)
Thank you very much! Just one more question, for the all age colleges, is there any difference between mature students and other students? Or, it's the same process for everyone involved?
There's no difference in the process or in life in College. It's only your age.
YOGU
Rep:
?
(Original post by threeportdrift)
There's no difference in the process or in life in College. It's only your age.
Thanks a lot! That's comforting.
lostapplicant
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I remember applying to Cambridge a few years ago for Natsci, each college website has their stats released, including interviews/offer rate etc. Idk if it is the same case for medicine, maybe check those too to make a decision! Good luck
161BMW
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by YOGU)
Thank you so much! I'll just post it there now.
You have to post in the sub forums.
Medicine
Cambridge and Oxford aka Oxbridge.
YOGU
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
I remember applying to Cambridge a few years ago for Natsci, each college website has their stats released, including interviews/offer rate etc. Idk if it is the same case for medicine, maybe check those too to make a decision! Good luck
Thank you so much! I just found the website:
https://www.undergraduate.study.cam....ply/statistics
Best of luck to you as well. ❤️
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling now you've started university?

I'm loving it! (51)
13.93%
I'm enjoying it but I'm still settling in (94)
25.68%
I'm a bit unsure (63)
17.21%
I'm finding things difficult (127)
34.7%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (31)
8.47%

Watched Threads