Turbulence can be used to reduce the rate of flow of a fluid. Explain this in terms

Watch
Aleksander Krol
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Turbulence can be used to reduce the rate of flow of a fluid.
Explain this in terms of energy transfers.
Callicious
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
This is just an idea, but if you imagine introducing some turbulence to a flow, you're putting energy into vortices within that flow.

A yo-yo on a string spinning around a point has an average position at the centre which doesn't move, but the energy isn't zero.

Try to think about partitioning the energy of a fluid flow which is initially 100% translational, and introducing some sort of turbulent vortex within it.

(My guess...)
Aleksander Krol
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Callicious)
This is just an idea, but if you imagine introducing some turbulence to a flow, you're putting energy into vortices within that flow.

A yo-yo on a string spinning around a point has an average position at the centre which doesn't move, but the energy isn't zero.

Try to think about partitioning the energy of a fluid flow which is initially 100% translational, and introducing some sort of turbulent vortex within it.

(My guess...)
okay, so this is what i think. imagining, we have a water flowing down the river at constant speed and it has a laminar flow. when we introduce turbulent flow to it, some of the kinetic energy gets converted into internal (heat) energy due to masses of friction between streamlines. so kinetic energy is reduced, which is why the rate of flow of the fluid is also reduced.
so is this the explanation which they're looking for? :/
Last edited by Aleksander Krol; 3 weeks ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (17)
58.62%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (3)
10.34%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (3)
10.34%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (1)
3.45%
I haven't started researching yet (2)
6.9%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
10.34%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise