Sohello
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
If a 6 marker does not specify that your answer has to be in “good english” and have no grammatical errors then can you just write the answer in bullet points?
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Sohello)
If a 6 marker does not specify that your answer has to be in “good english” and have no grammatical errors then can you just write the answer in bullet points?
This isn't chat
T
echnically yes - you can write the answer in bullet points. Practically, it's rare to see a good, complete answer written in this way, and it is better to write it out in prose, but keeping it brief and to the point (i.e. connect the bullet points).
0ptics
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Last year, when I was in year 11, I got told that they scrapped the QWC (quality of written communication) that’s on the six markers and even got advised to write it in bullet points because it can save waffle and makes it easier for the examiner to mark our work. So no, it doesn’t have to be in good English but it does have to be legible and understandable.
Last edited by 0ptics; 3 weeks ago
Sohello
Rep:
?
(Original post by Reality Check)
This isn't chat
T
echnically yes - you can write the answer in bullet points. Practically, it's rare to see a good, complete answer written in this way, and it is better to write it out in prose, but keeping it brief and to the point (i.e. connect the bullet points).
Oh right sorry next time i’ll add it to the right forum thing, and thank youu
Reality Check
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Oh right sorry next time i’ll add it to the right forum thing, and thank youu
No problem - and thanks
Sohello
Rep:
?
(Original post by 0ptics)
Last year, when I was in year 11, I got told that they scrapped the QWC (quality of written communication) that’s on the six markers and even got advised to write it in bullet points because it can save waffle and makes it easier for the examiner to mark our work. So no, it doesn’t have to be in good English but it does have to be legible and understandable.
Ohhh omg yeh that makes sense, thankyouu
Reality Check
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by 0ptics)
... even got advised to write it in bullet points because it can save waffle and makes it easier for the examiner to mark our work.
I've marked several answers written as bullet points which have scored zero, because none of the bullet points contain the actual terms or phrases required to gain the mark. This is the danger of writing in bullet points - if you write in prose, you're more likely to 'accidentally' mention the answer somehow if you're not confident. Writing it as bullet points gives you very little room for error.
Sohello
Rep:
?
I've marked several answers written as bullet points which have scored zero, because none of the bullet points contain the actual terms or phrases required to gain the mark. This is the danger of writing in bullet points - if you write in prose, you're more likely to 'accidentally' mention the answer somehow if you're not confident. Writing it as bullet points gives you very little room for error.
Omg ok now im confused, yk if I answer a question in bullet points and then check the marking scheme and the bullet points are similar/ use the same specific scientific vocab then do I get full marks or not?
Reality Check
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Omg ok now im confused, yk if I answer a question in bullet points and then check the marking scheme and the bullet points are similar/ use the same specific scientific vocab then do I get full marks or not?
What is complicated about this?

For a start, there is a big difference between 'similar' and 'Use the same specific scientific vocab'. 'Similar' = no marks (in some cases). 'uses the same specific scientific vocab' = mark awarded.

Secondly - there is more to the mark scheme than just what is printed on the thing you can download. Examiners get a gloss on it, which is refined during the marking of the actual examination, and there are also things like the 'list principle (briefly, a wrong answer cancels out a right answer in certain cases) - so home use of mark schemes needs treating with some caution.

Thirdly - if you answer the question using bullet points, and each bullet point contains exactly the six marking points detailed on the mark scheme, then you will receive full marks - regardless of the fact that it's written in bullet points. The problem is that you need excellent exam technique to be able to write six 'perfect' bullet points to score full marks - the chances of writing a prose answer which meets the criteria for full marks is somewhat higher for most students. So only write in bullet points if you're completely sure of the answers you're giving.
Last edited by Reality Check; 3 weeks ago
Obolinda
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
moved to the right forum for you :yy:
Sohello
Rep:
?
What is complicated about this?

For a start, there is a big difference between 'similar' and 'Use the same specific scientific vocab'. 'Similar' = no marks (in some cases). 'uses the same specific scientific vocab' = mark awarded.

Secondly - there is more to the mark scheme than just what is printed on the thing you can download. Examiners get a gloss on it, which is refined during the marking of the actual examination, and there are also things like the 'list principle (briefly, a wrong answer cancels out a right answer in certain cases) - so home use of mark schemes needs treating with some caution.

Thirdly - if you answer the question using bullet points, and each bullet point contains exactly the six marking points detailed on the mark scheme, then you will receive full marks - regardless of the fact that it's written in bullet points. The problem is that you need excellent exam technique to be able to write six 'perfect' bullet points to score full marks - the chances of writing a prose answer which meets the criteria for full marks is somewhat higher for most students. So only write in bullet points if you're completely sure of the answers you're giving.
Okay I understand it now, sorry it took me a while to , but thank you I appreciate you taking the time to explain this to me !!
Reality Check
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Okay I understand it now, sorry it took me a while to , but thank you I appreciate you taking the time to explain this to me !!
That's OK - no problem
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling now you've started university?

I'm loving it! (51)
13.93%
I'm enjoying it but I'm still settling in (94)
25.68%
I'm a bit unsure (63)
17.21%
I'm finding things difficult (127)
34.7%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (31)
8.47%

Watched Threads