Is the United Kingdom a good country to live?

Watch
Sabrine Crystal
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I am from Rio de Janeiro in Brazil but I have plans for someday I move to a country that speak English as offitial language so I wanna know if the UK is a good country to live, work and meybe build a family( I don`t want to have children now).

I read on Quora that the UK is one of the safest countries in the world and also has a very good public health system. If the latter is true then it may be much better than the United States.

My gut told me that if I go to the UK I would like the country and I would not want to go back to Brazil. I also listened to Deep House School Garage songs from UK on Youtube and I thought it was so cool.

How safe is London?
looloo2134
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Sabrine Crystal)
I am from Rio de Janeiro in Brazil but I have plans for someday I move to a country that speak English as offitial language so I wanna know if the UK is a good country to live, work and meybe build a family( I don`t want to have children now).

I read on Quora that the UK is one of the safest countries in the world and also has a very good public health system. If the latter is true then it may be much better than the United States.

My gut told me that if I go to the UK I would like the country and I would not want to go back to Brazil. I also listened to Deep House School Garage songs from UK on Youtube and I thought it was so cool.

How safe is London?
As someone from outside of UK you would have to pay for your health care the same as in USA. Which is thousands of pounds a year.

Also London is a very expensive city too live in and rent for tiny room can be £600 and a one bedroom flat over £1090 a month before bills. London is also very lonely place if you do not know anybody and can been hard to meet other people.
Last edited by looloo2134; 4 weeks ago
StriderHort
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
London doesn't have a whole lot in common with the other 90% of the UK
Sabrine Crystal
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by StriderHort)
London doesn't have a whole lot in common with the other 90% of the UK
What do you mean? Is London very different from the rest of UK like a country with a certain culture inside another country?
username4986690
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
What do you mean? Is London very different from the rest of UK like a country with a certain culture inside another country?
:yep:
SHallowvale
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago

How safe is London?
The UK is a good place to live. I'd recommend either the UK or Canada as places that speak English as an official language, countries like the US have a much smaller social safety net.

I would not recommend living in London, though, as London is a very expensive place to live.
HansLuben
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
The West in general is in decline, the USA is still a very good option though, and in the UK you'll pay for healthcare via taxes if your not a benefit parasite.
PinkMobilePhone
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
If we're comparing the UK to North Korea, yeah the UK is fantastic.
If we're comparing the UK to Finland, the UK is terrible.

There's always somewhere better than us, and somewhere worse.

I think the UK at the moment is terrible compared to how it was in the late 90s, personally. It has gone downhill quite dramatically, and frankly I don't like living here at all at the moment.

As for London - most of the UK is not like London at all. London is unimaginably expensive.
gtty123
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
It's better than America - that's for sure.
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
The UK is widely considered the greatest nation on Earth, so much so everyone elses time is referenced off the time in the UK.
username5713179
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
London is different to other parts of the UK, as the above users have said. But even within London, there are major differences on where you go - for example, compare Kensington to Tower Hamlets. The cheapest area of London, if I remember correctly, is Havering? I think that's more in Essex, but whatever.

There's going to be positives and negatives wherever you go.

Alternatively just move to Hull or Bradford, areas which are the least expensive in England to rent.

Or go to Londonderry (which is not in London, but Northern Ireland) 'the most affordable city in the UK for the third year in a row'

Spoiler:
Show
felt in the mood to highlight random phrases to stress my points :borat:
Last edited by username5713179; 4 weeks ago
Joshoandnjs4
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
The UK is not a good place to live. Other countries are much better, I recommend USA, Canada, UAE.
tinygirl96
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I live in Surrey. And yh
Nothing8769
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Joshoandnjs4)
The UK is not a good place to live. Other countries are much better, I recommend USA, Canada, UAE.
The USA?? I know the UK isn't perfect or anything, but it's much better than America.
username5713179
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Can this thread please not turn into a 'Is The UK Or US Better?' one
RogerOxon
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by looloo2134)
As someone from outside of UK you would have to pay for your health care the same as in USA. Which is thousands of pounds a year.
That is not true. First, for any long-stay visa, you will pay an NHS surcharge (~£500-600 a year), not the cost of treatment. US health insurance is going to be over $1k a month, and you will still pay part of the cost of treatment. Second, if your visa is a visitor's, or for for less than 6 months, you will pay the cost of treatments, but many are free (including GP consultations and A&E).

In summary, the cost of healthcare in the UK is insignificant compared to that in the US. I live in California ..
Last edited by RogerOxon; 4 weeks ago
RogerOxon
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago

How safe is London?
What is important to you?
What job would you do?
Which countries will offer you a working visa?
Do you like rain and the cold?
Last edited by RogerOxon; 4 weeks ago
lojawa
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago

How safe is London?
If you want to try out living in some English-speaking countries, then why limit yourself to just one? You could get a job in the UK for a few years, then move to Australia for a few years, then the USA. Depending on your career, employers may view international experience like that as an asset. We can’t tell you whether you’d like the UK, you’ll never know until you visit and try it out.
Last edited by lojawa; 4 weeks ago
Sabrine Crystal
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by HansLuben)
The West in general is in decline, the USA is still a very good option though, and in the UK you'll pay for healthcare via taxes if your not a benefit parasite.
That is what I meant I read that in the US the public health system funded by taxes is restricted only by certain monorities but here in Brazil the SUS id for everyone. Even the richest person here can use the public health system if they want to.
Sabrine Crystal
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Nothing8769)
The USA?? I know the UK isn't perfect or anything, but it's much better than America.
My intuition always told me so.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (316)
57.25%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (77)
13.95%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (62)
11.23%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (48)
8.7%
I haven't started researching yet (28)
5.07%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (21)
3.8%

Watched Threads