superharrydude09
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I was learning about address bus, and that if it was 32 bit, then there would be 2^32 maximum addressable locations, which is roughly 4 GB. What is confusing me is that 32 bits is 4 bytes, so why does 32 bit convert to 4GB in this case.
gcseeeman
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by superharrydude09)
I was learning about address bus, and that if it was 32 bit, then there would be 2^32 maximum addressable locations, which is roughly 4 GB. What is confusing me is that 32 bits is 4 bytes, so why does 32 bit convert to 4GB in this case.
32 bits can represent 2^32 different values. If they are addresses, then 32 bits can represent 2^32 different 32-bit addresses.

When you say 32 bits is 4 bytes, you are talking about the information held directly in those 32 bits; when you talk about the 32-bit addresses that can be represented by those 32 bits (or by 4 bytes), you are talking about the information that can be held in the 2^32 (or 2^8 * 2^8 * 2^8 * 2^8) different addresses (e.g. 2^32 different bytes, as seems to be the case in the 4 GiB example you give).

Does that help at all?
RogerOxon
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by superharrydude09)
A byte (more formally, an octet) is 8 bits, so a byte of address can access 256 locations. Therefore, if you want to convert n bytes of address to number of locations, it's 256^n={2^8}^n=2^{8n}. It's not a linear relationship - 2 bytes of address only allows for 64KB.

Note that memory chips don't typically offer byte accesses. They have a much wider data bus - 256b (16B), or more, so some of the byte address lines actually serve to address the byte within the data read.
Last edited by RogerOxon; 4 weeks ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has your education been disrupted this academic year due to the pandemic?

Yes (32)
86.49%
No (5)
13.51%

Watched Threads