Binboii
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
I have sent an application for the Orwell award 2022. I wanted to ask if you reckon I'd get an invitation to the interview/assessments. I live in Bradford and am a British Pakistani, I am also quite intelligent and am predicted all 9s and 8s. I personally wanted to take Maths, FM, Economics and Chemistry and was just curious as to what you guys think about how probable it would be for me to be invited to the interviews.
m4z21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
Have you been shortlisted? The results came out today
i.s____
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by m4z21)
Have you been shortlisted? The results came out today
I'm assuming you've been shortlisted as well lol?
m4z21
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
No unfortunately congratulations
i.s____
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Unlucky man deffo not the end of the world!
m4z21
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
If you dont mind me asking what do you think really put you at a advantage of receiving this scholarship in contrast to others who applied. Are you london based?
Schooldude123
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Congratualtions man! Honestly, I have the same question: I want to know what went wrong with my application. My grades included 7 grade 9s and rest were 8s and I did plenty of extra-curriuclar and charity work. Only problem is that I attend a selective state school in a good area just outside London in Kent. What's your situation like?

(Original post by m4z21)
If you dont mind me asking what do you think really put you at a advantage of receiving this scholarship in contrast to others who applied. Are you london based?
.tb_button {padding:1px;cursorointer;border-right: 1px solid #8b8b8b;border-left: 1px solid #FFF;border-bottom: 1px solid #fff;}.tb_button.hover {borer:2px outset #def; background-color: #f8f8f8 !important;}.ws_toolbar {z-index:100000} .ws_toolbar .ws_tb_btn {cursorointer;border:1px solid #555;padding:3px} .tb_highlight{background-color:yellow} .tb_hide {visibility:hidden} .ws_toolbar img {padding:2px;margin:0px}
m4z21
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Join the club 😂😂😂 Schooldude123 honestly huge props to those who got the scholarship hope they utilise and take advantage of this prestigious award and stand for change
i.s____
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by m4z21)
Yeah, I’m based in London but I live in Peckham (arguably the worst part of London haha). That probably aided me in my application.

Firstly, I’d like to say that over 200 people were rejected and only 30 were chosen so don’t feel disheartened. I am predicted 10 Grade 9s at GCSE and partake in quite a few extra-curriculars - but I know that there’s people who do a LOT more than me. I think the most important thing about the application is your quality of writing - if your passions are expressed well on a page, it paints a good image of you as a student. In addition to the personal statement, I also got in touch with former recipients of the award who informed me that I could send a CV in conjunction with the rest of my application, so I constructed a pretty good one (not perfect) and it was attached to my file. That probably contributed to me being shortlisted because it might show some initiative and eagerness.

Finally, in the personal statement itself, I made sure to ALWAYS link everything I’ve done to my A-Level choices - to show a genuine interest in the subject.
That’s probably it tbh. But even though i’ve been shortlisted I am still likely to get rejected (hopefully not). I just need to do some good interview prep and brush up on my essay writing skills for the general paper lol.
Schooldude123
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Noice! Unfortunately, I haven't got predicted grades so I had to use Y10 mocks, well done on 10 9s btw. Just in general, how did you write your personal statement compared to your CV though? Also, in regards to your CV, did you it structure formally with name and D.O.B etc...at the start? I'm applying to a local school and may send them a CV along with my application. Your help would be appreciated, thanks!

(Original post by i.s____)
Yeah, I’m based in London but I live in Peckham (arguably the worst part of London haha). That probably aided me in my application.

Firstly, I’d like to say that over 200 people were rejected and only 30 were chosen so don’t feel disheartened. I am predicted 10 Grade 9s at GCSE and partake in quite a few extra-curriculars - but I know that there’s people who do a LOT more than me. I think the most important thing about the application is your quality of writing - if your passions are expressed well on a page, it paints a good image of you as a student. In addition to the personal statement, I also got in touch with former recipients of the award who informed me that I could send a CV in conjunction with the rest of my application, so I constructed a pretty good one (not perfect) and it was attached to my file. That probably contributed to me being shortlisted because it might show some initiative and eagerness.

Finally, in the personal statement itself, I made sure to ALWAYS link everything I’ve done to my A-Level choices - to show a genuine interest in the subject.
That’s probably it tbh. But even though i’ve been shortlisted I am still likely to get rejected (hopefully not). I just need to do some good interview prep and brush up on my essay writing skills for the general paper lol.
.tb_button {padding:1px;cursorointer;border-right: 1px solid #8b8b8b;border-left: 1px solid #FFF;border-bottom: 1px solid #fff;}.tb_button.hover {borer:2px outset #def; background-color: #f8f8f8 !important;}.ws_toolbar {z-index:100000} .ws_toolbar .ws_tb_btn {cursorointer;border:1px solid #555;padding:3px} .tb_highlight{background-color:yellow} .tb_hide {visibility:hidden} .ws_toolbar img {padding:2px;margin:0px}
m4z21
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
What do you think really amazed the selective commitee in other words what do you think was your USP and how did you come across to presenting it? And lastly how did you structure your PS?
Schooldude123
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Big fax. I feel bad for bothering you but if you could answer that question above, it would be highly appreciated.
WilliamOkoro
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
Yo, you got shortlisted?So did I.Don't know why that sounded so cocky but excited for the assessments on Saturday?If you don't mind me asking have you been doing any thing to prepare for them?
WilliamOkoro
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Schooldude123)
Big fax. I feel bad for bothering you but if you could answer that question above, it would be highly appreciated.
Hey,
I got shortlisted for the Orwell Award, and for the personal statement DOB, etc, isn't really necessary in as much as it adds to the prognosis and gives detail about you its also less entices whoever is reading the statement due to its simplicity. When writing mine, I began with a brief reason for my application to be considered and then ended my first paragraph with my name. The majority of the statement was about my hobbies and achievements, but with the achievements try not to sound too cocky but also include as many as possible in a polite, less prideful way if you get what I mean.
Hope this helps.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (35)
9.83%
Okay (105)
29.49%
A bit lacking (130)
36.52%
Not good at all (86)
24.16%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise