Simplifying binomial expansions Edexcel

Watch
velaris08
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Just wondering if anyone had any advice as to what counts as "simplified"? Just did a binomials Q where everything had to be halved at the end, so I just took my expansion and halved it. Markscheme looks like it awards the last mark for showing 1/2 (expansion). I showed 1/2(1-3/4 x)^-1/2 i.e. what had been expanded, but not the explicit expansion. Made a mental note to show that next time - but can anyone tell me how to tell what the best simplified form is? Not even neccessarily for binomials but just in general - when it comes to everything having to be halved/quartered etc etc - should I just leave it like that instead?
mqb2766
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by velaris08)
Just wondering if anyone had any advice as to what counts as "simplified"? Just did a binomials Q where everything had to be halved at the end, so I just took my expansion and halved it. Markscheme looks like it awards the last mark for showing 1/2 (expansion). I showed 1/2(1-3/4 x)^-1/2 i.e. what had been expanded, but not the explicit expansion. Made a mental note to show that next time - but can anyone tell me how to tell what the best simplified form is? Not even neccessarily for binomials but just in general - when it comes to everything having to be halved/quartered etc etc - should I just leave it like that instead?
Can you upload the question, the markscheme and what you did. It does help.
velaris08
Rep:
?
(Original post by mqb2766)
Can you upload the question, the markscheme and what you did. It does help.
Sorry - here.
mqb2766
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by velaris08)
Sorry - here.
tbh I would have put it in the form you did. Each term is simplified and its what is given as the solution at the top of the second page. Cant give a definitive answer however, so maybe just keep an eye out in case you come across this again.

For instance in
https://naikermaths.com/wp-content/u...ARK-SCHEME.pdf
they don't do a simple factorization of the final power series, which is what Id expect. So just do what you did unless explicitly asked for.
Last edited by mqb2766; 3 weeks ago
velaris08
Rep:
?
(Original post by mqb2766)
tbh I would have put it in the form you did. Each term is simplified and its what is given as the solution at the top of the second page. Cant give a definitive answer however, so maybe just keep an eye out in case you come across this again.

For instance in
https://naikermaths.com/wp-content/u...ARK-SCHEME.pdf
they don't do a simple factorization of the final power series, which is what Id expect. So just do what you did unless explicitly asked for.
Thanks. I'll probably just try and slip in the intermediate fully written out version if I have time.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling now you've started university?

I'm loving it! (51)
13.9%
I'm enjoying it but I'm still settling in (94)
25.61%
I'm a bit unsure (63)
17.17%
I'm finding things difficult (127)
34.6%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (32)
8.72%

Watched Threads