?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Title-gcse aqa biology
fridacatlo
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
There's a greater concentration of glucose in the blood due as it can't enter cells either because pancreatic cells aren't secreting insulin or insulin is less effective. Glucose is soluble so lowers water potential of blood below that of cell cytoplasm. Then think about osmosis and how that works.
Hope that helps
Sohello
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
(Original post by fridacatlo)
There's a greater concentration of glucose in the blood due as it can't enter cells either because pancreatic cells aren't secreting insulin or insulin is less effective. Glucose is soluble so lowers water potential of blood below that of cell cytoplasm. Then think about osmosis and how that works.
Hope that helps
Ohhh is it bc osmosis is the movement of water from a dilute solution to a concentrated solution,and the glucose leads to the blood being more concentrated than the cells so they don’t move into the cell?
fridacatlo
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Basically. The water moves out of the cells via osmosis down the water potential gradient
Sohello
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
(Original post by fridacatlo)
Basically. The water moves out of the cells via osmosis down the water potential gradient
OMG YES I FINALLY UNDERSTAND THIS its bc the cells are no longer the high concentration area, bc theres more glucose in the blood init making the blood more concentrated THANK YOUUU OMG I LOVE YOU FOR THIS
fridacatlo
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Sohello)
OMG YES I FINALLY UNDERSTAND THIS its bc the cells are no longer the high concentration area, bc theres more glucose in the blood init making the blood more concentrated THANK YOUUU OMG I LOVE YOU FOR THIS
YES! Well done
Jpw1097
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Sohello)
That's right. Also, the extra glucose will be excreted by the kidneys into urine, pulling water along with it by osmosis. This causes people with diabetes to urinate more, which can cause dehydration.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (317)
57.22%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (77)
13.9%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (62)
11.19%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (49)
8.84%
I haven't started researching yet (28)
5.05%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (21)
3.79%

Watched Threads