papie
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I have a question related to functioning of op amp.
papie
Rep:
?
I have posted the question and the graph i need to sketch on. I sketched a line from origin to 6v because Vout= gain + r1/r2 . So if let say input voltage is 1v output should be 6v. right? If you can help me out with this it would be great.
Attached files
RogerOxon
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by papie)
I have posted the question and the graph i need to sketch on. I sketched a line from origin to 6v because Vout= gain + r1/r2 . So if let say input voltage is 1v output should be 6v. right? If you can help me out with this it would be great.
An ideal op-amp is assumed to have infinite gain. The input voltages (- and +) must therefore be equal. You have a voltage divider supplying the '-' input voltage, as a fraction of the output one. The inputs are also assumed to take zero current. Can you derive a formula for the output voltage? (It's not what you stated)

What is the maximum voltage that the op-amp can supply?
Last edited by RogerOxon; 4 weeks ago
Joinedup
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I don't normally like telling people to just memorise things but I think op amps are a bit of an exception

I'd suggest you learn to recognise the inverting and non-inverting configurations and memorise the formulae for their voltage gain as part of your revision

it's worthwhile and (hopefully) fun to go through the derivation of the gain formulae but you probably don't want to start doing it in an exam.

here are the reasoning and voltage gain formula for inverting and non-inverting configuration

https://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/opamp/opamp_2.html
https://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/opamp/opamp_3.html

and here is a video if you follow it better like that https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FYHt5XviKc&t=579s
papie
Rep:
?
(Original post by RogerOxon)
An ideal op-amp is assumed to have infinite gain. The input voltages (- and +) must therefore be equal. You have a voltage divider supplying the '-' input voltage, as a fraction of the output one. The inputs are also assumed to take zero current. Can you derive a formula for the output voltage? (It's not what you stated)

What is the maximum voltage that the op-amp can supply?
Oookay I get it. I think I was too tired last night when I was doing it. The output is going to be saturated at 3V so it can't be 6V.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (316)
57.25%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (77)
13.95%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (62)
11.23%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (48)
8.7%
I haven't started researching yet (28)
5.07%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (21)
3.8%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise