I think I've been conned

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
This morning, I went with my dad to a country park. He drove us there, and asked me to pay for the parking which he claimed was £3. I thought this was fair enough since he drove so I paid and thought nothing more of it. However I've just been looking up online for the parking charges for the park and it says it's free if you stay for up to 3 hours and only costs of you stay for longer than this. I don't believe he would've wanted to stay for all that time and was barely even there for half an hour as he said he started to feel unwell. I know it's only £3 and hasn't exactly left me bankrupt but can't help but feel I've been conned and taken advantage of. It sounds petty but he's left me feeling pretty angry and upset. It's also not the first time he's tried something like this.
SmorL
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Sue him.
Last edited by SmorL; 3 weeks ago
black tea
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Yes, it's very petty. Move on.
Rufus The Red
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
If you're suspicious enough to look at the parking prices online after the fact for something which seemed fine at the time, why didn't you just check there and then?
Whether or not he intended to get three quid off you or not, your reaction seems a little more off than what he might've done.
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Taken advantage of? It's the price of a pint, forget it and move on
Bio 7
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
It's £3, hardly a con.
Anonymous #1
I know it's only a small amount but the fact is he's ripped me off. Would appreciate some support before I confront him.
black tea
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I know it's only a small amount but the fact is he's ripped me off. Would appreciate some support before I confront him.
Support to confront him over £3?
Anonymous #1
(Original post by black tea)
Support to confront him over £3?
It's not the value, it's the principle of it
black tea
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
It's not the value, it's the principle of it
Well, it looks like no one who has answered in this thread shares your point of view.
3ggfriedrice
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I don’t get why he would rip you off. Just go ask him and maybe bring back previous times that you said similar things have happened.
Admit-One
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Indeed. I think most people are more concerned that you looked to research the cost after the fact.

If you thought he was untrustworthy, surely you should have checked at the time, or gone with him to the pay machine or whatever.

Your dad probably paid more than £3 on petrol and general wear and tear on the car.
Anonymous #1
If you knew my father you might understand me a bit better. A few years back, him and his wife decided to sell the house we lived in after her eldest son moved out, right over my head without bothering to tell me. Luckily I managed to find a flat to rent but was very nearly homeless. Really I should have cut all ties with him then. This is why I'm suspicious.
black tea
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
If you knew my father you might understand me a bit better. A few years back, him and his wife decided to sell the house we lived in after her eldest son moved out, right over my head without bothering to tell me. Luckily I managed to find a flat to rent but was very nearly homeless. Really I should have cut all ties with him then. This is why I'm suspicious.
So cut ties then. You are an adult, by the sound of the things, and your relationship with your father is clearly not healthy.
Rufus The Red
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
You are not obliged to remain in contact with your father.
Rather than just complaining about a petty thing he may have done (that is, the subject of the thread rather than selling the house) you should take action so that you don't have to bother with him.
mxo.
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
reckon you start a go fund me, traumatic x
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (227)
56.75%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (51)
12.75%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (45)
11.25%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (36)
9%
I haven't started researching yet (23)
5.75%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (18)
4.5%

Watched Threads