Elz15
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hi everyone! Currently in year 12 studying English Lit, Geography and sociology. In the future I would love to be a primary school teacher preferably children aged 7 and 8 aha. Anyways I've been trying to search degrees and it's all very confusing. So I was thinking of doing an normal undergraduate degree ie in geography not sure yet! But after that obviously I'd have to do a teaching degree. So an undergraduate degree is normally a 3 year course for subjects like geo and I looked up primary Education degrees with a QTS which is another 3 year degree on top of that. This just seems a long time to be at uni. I swear there are 1 or 2 year teaching degrees which you can do after your undergraduate degree. However I don't just want to do a placement at the school I would also like to be studying at a uni with a placement at the same time. Any advice would be so great as it's so confusing trying to look on all these uni websites. And if anyone is studying or is a primary school teacher is it good etc just any tips really. I did used to want to be a lawyer but I never invisioned myself doing it whereas I love children and it's so rewarding teaching a youngish age. Anyways I was also interesting in when I was actually qualified as a teacher to work at an international school but if it's an English speaking school would I be required to learn the language of that country. I've always wanted to work in Spain. I did do Spanish for my gcses I know a bit but also if I lived and worked in Spain I may pick it up after a year or so. Aha so sorry for this long essay just really need some advice xx
Last edited by Elz15; 4 weeks ago
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Elz15)
Hi everyone! Currently in year 12 studying English Lit, Geography and sociology. In the future I would love to be a primary school teacher preferably children aged 7 and 8 aha. Anyways I've been trying to search degrees and it's all very confusing. So I was thinking of doing an normal undergraduate degree ie in geography not sure yet! But after that obviously I'd have to do a teaching degree. So an undergraduate degree is normally a 3 year course for subjects like geo and I looked up primary Education degrees with a QTS which is another 3 year degree on top of that. This just seems a long time to be at uni. I swear there are 1 or 2 year teaching degrees which you can do after your undergraduate degree. However I don't just want to do a placement at the school I would also like to be studying at a uni with a placement at the same time. Any advice would be so great as it's so confusing trying to look on all these uni websites. And if anyone is studying or is a primary school teacher is it good etc just any tips really. I did used to want to be a lawyer but I never invisioned myself doing it whereas I love children and it's so rewarding teaching a youngish age. Anyways I was also interesting in when I was actually qualified as a teacher to work at an international school but if it's an English speaking school would I be required to learn the language of that country. I've always wanted to work in Spain. I did do Spanish for my gcses I know a bit but also if I lived and worked in Spain I may pick it up after a year or so. Aha so sorry for this long essay just really need some advice xx
Once you've got a degree you just need a PGCE with QTS which is a one year course
Elz15
Rep:
?
(Original post by Muttley79)
Once you've got a degree you just need a PGCE with QTS which is a one year course
Thank you. Are you studying or are a teacher? And which universities offer this course because I type it into find university degrees and this degree never comes up
Last edited by Elz15; 4 weeks ago
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Elz15)
Thank you. Are you studying or are a teacher?
I'm a teacher - this is the most flexible route as you have a degree if you decide teaching is not for you.

Take a look here: https://www.ucas.com/postgraduate/te...ngland?filter=
Elz15
Rep:
?
I'm a teacher - this is the most flexible route as you have a degree if you decide teaching is not for you.

Take a look here: https://www.ucas.com/postgraduate/te...ngland?filter=
Thank you so much. Do you enjoy teaching and which age group?
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Elz15)
Thank you so much. Do you enjoy teaching and which age group?
I do and I teach Maths at secondary. However I do get to do a lot of outreach to Primaries and support teachers in other schools

Nothing better than when you see children making progress and seeing them grow from Year 7s to going off to university
Elz15
Rep:
?
I do and I teach Maths at secondary. However I do get to do a lot of outreach to Primaries and support teachers in other schools

Nothing better than when you see children making progress and seeing them grow from Year 7s to going off to university
Did you do ab undergraduate degree plus a postgraduate degree by any chance just interested in unis that offer the postgraduate degree for primary school teaching as there doesn't seem to be many unis that offer this x
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Elz15)
Did you do ab undergraduate degree plus a postgraduate degree by any chance just interested in unis that offer the postgraduate degree for primary school teaching as there doesn't seem to be many unis that offer this x
I did a Maths degree then a PGCE - there are loads offering Primary PGCE - google is your friend.

Oxford Brookes https://www.brookes.ac.uk/school-of-.../pgce-primary/

Edge Hill: https://www.edgehill.ac.uk/courses/pgce-primary/
Pheebz0711
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Recommend looking at winchester university, they do a fab primary education degree. Loads of my friends do it and love it ) x
Elz15
Rep:
?
I did a Maths degree then a PGCE - there are loads offering Primary PGCE - google is your friend.

Oxford Brookes https://www.brookes.ac.uk/school-of-.../pgce-primary/

Edge Hill: https://www.edgehill.ac.uk/courses/pgce-primary/
Thank you so much 😄😄
Elz15
Rep:
?
(Original post by Pheebz0711)
Recommend looking at winchester university, they do a fab primary education degree. Loads of my friends do it and love it ) x
Ooo ok I'll check it out. Thank you! x
Staffordshire University
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi Elz15

Just a quick one to say we offer a Primary General PGCE.

We also offer a Primary Education with QTS degree - this is a three year degree which means you'll graduate as a qualified teacher in three years rather than four (standard three year UG degree, plus 1 year PGCE degree). If you search on UCAS/Google, you should find other unis which offer this course too.

I hope that helps - and good luck!

Thanks

Amy
Last edited by Staffordshire University; 3 weeks ago
Elz15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Staffordshire University)
Hi Elz15

Just a quick one to say we offer a Primary General PGCE.

We also offer a Primary Education with QTS degree - this is a three year degree which means you'll graduate as a qualified teacher in three years rather than four (standard three year UG degree, plus 1 year PGCE degree). If you search on UCAS/Google, you should find other unis which offer this course too.

I hope that helps - and good luck!

Thanks

Amy
Thank you so much. Would I be able to an undergraduate degree and then do a primary Education course and do you offer just a one year primary Education with QTS? On UCAS I have searched Education courses and not many universites come up that have primary teaching courses yet if I search universities separately they do come up so I was a bit confused 😂
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (308)
57.89%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (74)
13.91%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (59)
11.09%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (45)
8.46%
I haven't started researching yet (26)
4.89%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (20)
3.76%

Watched Threads