Tee100x
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hi guys,

I've been reading that you shouldn't get a part time job whilst doing your masters because it's so intensive which is quite scary. I assumed that masters compared to a bachelors degree although it's hard and much more to write, you'd be taught less so most of the time you'd be doing your own work and your own research in your own time?
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Farhanaax)
Hi guys,

I've been reading that you shouldn't get a part time job whilst doing your masters because it's so intensive which is quite scary. I assumed that masters compared to a bachelors degree although it's hard and much more to write, you'd be taught less so most of the time you'd be doing your own work and your own research in your own time?
It depends on the masters degree. I did a humanities MA, and the majority of students also had a part-time job. While a masters is inevitably a step up from undergrad level, it's not unmanageable.
Tee100x
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
PhoenixFortune how much help do you get from tutors on a masters programme? And is it true that your work is based on your own originality compared to a bachelor's degree where you are mainly researching other people's findings and perspectives.
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
PhoenixFortune how much help do you get from tutors on a masters programme? And is it true that your work is based on your own originality compared to a bachelor's degree where you are mainly researching other people's findings and perspectives.
Lecturers will hold regular office hours where you can discuss any assignment ideas or ask questions about things you're finding difficult. Your dissertation is based on originality a lot more than module essays, and it will depend on the area of study as to how original you need to be.
De Montfort University
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hi guys,

Hi there Farhanaax!

I'm Konnie, a postgraduate student from De Montfort University, Leicester!

From my own experience, there are lots of postgraduate students who decide to undertake part-time work whilst studying, including myself! The majority of postgraduate study is typically quite independent, so you can create your own schedule to work around your other commitments. But this does depend on what sort of course you were looking to study, so I would recommend doing some research on the average contact time for your course of interest.

If you were concerned about the workload of university, but did still want to work, you could also consider a part-time postgraduate course! These courses are usually two years instead of one. In my opinion, a part-time course also gives you an opportunity to find some work experience in your chosen field whilst you study.

I hope this helps!

Take care,

Konnie
Coventry University Student Ambassadors
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hello there,

I am a current MSc international marketing management student. Yes, indeed! It's a demanding course. However, I believe you can continue to work as long as you manage your time well.
Try to find freelance or part-time job that fits your schedule. I, too, have a freelance job, one part-time job, and am currently pursuing my MSc. And I'm still doing well ( for now lol)

Kylie Ng, Student Ambassador
MSc International Marketing Management
Coventry University
username5840630
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hi I’m doing a Masters in American history and I’m going to need to work 15 to 20 hours a week to afford it is that realistic?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (187)
55.99%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (46)
13.77%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (37)
11.08%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (31)
9.28%
I haven't started researching yet (18)
5.39%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (15)
4.49%

Watched Threads