Oxford history (and joint courses) applicants 2022

Watch
caeciliusinhortz
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
I haven't seen one of these so I though I would start a thread to discuss applications and their progress, and as a general forum for help, support and advice through the HAT, interviews and offers (hopefully). Please say:

Course:
College:
A-level subjects and predicted/achieved grades:
GCSES:
Private/state/ grammar:
Historical interests:
Favourite history book:
Progress of application:
Last edited by caeciliusinhortz; 2 months ago
hoemeric
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
i suppose i’ll be the first one

Course: History and Politics
College: Trinity (unless I change my mind)
A-level subjects and predicted/achieved grades: 4 A*s (achieved)
GCSES: all 9s one 8
Private/state/ grammar: Private
Historical interests: Native American history, history of conquest, marginalisation, etc.
Progress of application: Due to be sent off in a couple days
bethwinfield
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Course: History
College: Hertford
A-level subjects and predicted/achieved grades: A*A*A*A in EPQ, Biology, Psychology and History
GCSES: 99999887
Private/state/grammar: State
Historical interests: Pre-1600 royal history
Favourite history book: Eleanor of Aquitaine by Alison Weir
Progress of application: Just waiting on my teacher’s approval before I send it off
Last edited by bethwinfield; 1 month ago
caeciliusinhortz
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Course: History
College: Trinity
A-level subjects and predicted/achieved grades: A*A*A*A*
GCSES: 9999999988
Historical interests: gender history, revolutionary and imperial history
Favourite history book/currently reading: Said, Orientalism.
Progress of application: Nearly submitted
caeciliusinhortz
Rep:
(Original post by hoemeric)
i suppose i’ll be the first one

Course: History and Politics
College: Trinity (unless I change my mind)
A-level subjects and predicted/achieved grades: 4 A*s (achieved)
GCSES: all 9s one 8
Historical interests: Native American history, history of conquest, marginalisation, etc.
Progress of application: Due to be sent off in a couple days
also trin!
caeciliusinhortz
Rep:
what are you guys doing to prep for the HAT
hoemeric
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by caeciliusinhortz)
also trin!
yay!
hoemeric
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
what are you guys doing to prep for the HAT
i’d really recommend everyone to check out the hat guide here (https://32f5900b-eac8-41ab-9cbb-6157...086057ffac.pdf)

and this video by jesus college access here (https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xsStONvSiAI)

i used the tips in the video above last year and scored fairly well in the hat
caeciliusinhortz
Rep:
i’d really recommend everyone to check out the hat guide here (https://32f5900b-eac8-41ab-9cbb-6157...086057ffac.pdf)

and this video by jesus college access here (https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xsStONvSiAI)

Thank you! are u a reapplicant?
hoemeric
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Thank you! are u a reapplicant?
yes <3 i got rejected after the interview last year
caeciliusinhortz
Rep:
yes <3 i got rejected after the interview last year
can I ask what college you applied to last year? I'm a bit conflicted at the moment between trinity, queens and corpus.
banicaiboza
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
any applicants to st catz for history? <3
hoemeric
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
can I ask what college you applied to last year? I'm a bit conflicted at the moment between trinity, queens and corpus.
i applied to oriel last year. i think you should check out the college suggester on the oxford su website, i’ve found it really useful.

alternatively, you could also make a table of what you are looking for in a college and then pick the one which scores the highest.

i picked both oriel and trinity because they are traditional, without being political and have en-suites available for the entire duration of the course, which were the top two items on my requirement list.
username4729656
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 1 month ago

This is amazing - thank you! Did you do a caveats section like Matt suggests in the vid? As someone else said you didn't need to do it and I got so lost
franklyfruity
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
anyone else feeling suuuper stressed about the HAT?? i feel so underprepared even though i’ve been through the past papers aah i think it’s the time limit that’s making me nervous
Flo24
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by franklyfruity)
anyone else feeling suuuper stressed about the HAT?? i feel so underprepared even though i’ve been through the past papers aah i think it’s the time limit that’s making me nervous
I’m reapplying this year and did the HAT last year and honestly still feel underprepared. Because it’s a “blind” exam eg you don’t know what it’s going to be about, you will never feel prepared so take comfort in the fact everyone is in the same boat. The time limit is hard and your hand will of fallen off by the end but it’s again the same for everyone so don’t overthink it and enjoy the challenge, few people get the opportunity to sit the test at all so be proud you are. I’m still very nervous even with it being my second time but you can only do your best and the application is based solely on the exam either so just try your hardest and there’s nothing more you can do, also it’s over so fast you don’t even have time to panic. Hope this helped xx
JustP
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Yeah, and most importantly, most people are interviewed regardless of their HAT score if the other components of their application are good. So, if you feel good about yourself on the other elements, and you think you can achieve a decent grade on the HAT, don't worry, you should at least be shortlisted and able to prove your love for history at the interview. Furthermore, I'm asking on this thread as I received no answer on the University of Oxford one, anyone is applying to History, or History and Modern languages at Jesus (for me Spanish)? Or simply for History and Modern Languages anywhere ?
hoemeric
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by louisecarter01)
This is amazing - thank you! Did you do a caveats section like Matt suggests in the vid? As someone else said you didn't need to do it and I got so lost
if you think there’s an important point to be made, but the source doesn’t provide enough information about it for it to be a complete theme, you could mention that somewhere towards the end. this is something my history tutor recommended to me. you could also mention how an author’s position in society limits their perspective, for eg an upper-class man writing about peasant revolts.
that said, it’s not really a requirement. only mention something if it links back to the source, otherwise it’ll just be a waste of time.

good luck for your test <3
username4729656
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
if you think there’s an important point to be made, but the source doesn’t provide enough information about it for it to be a complete theme, you could mention that somewhere towards the end. this is something my history tutor recommended to me. you could also mention how an author’s position in society limits their perspective, for eg an upper-class man writing about peasant revolts.
that said, it’s not really a requirement. only mention something if it links back to the source, otherwise it’ll just be a waste of time.

good luck for your test <3
Ahhh thank you that’s amazing! Good luck to you too!
Flo24
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by JustP)
Yeah, and most importantly, most people are interviewed regardless of their HAT score if the other components of their application are good. So, if you feel good about yourself on the other elements, and you think you can achieve a decent grade on the HAT, don't worry, you should at least be shortlisted and able to prove your love for history at the interview. Furthermore, I'm asking on this thread as I received no answer on the University of Oxford one, anyone is applying to History, or History and Modern languages at Jesus (for me Spanish)? Or simply for History and Modern Languages anywhere ?
I’m applying to Jesus but for history and politics x
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (32)
10.16%
Okay (93)
29.52%
A bit lacking (113)
35.87%
Not good at all (77)
24.44%

Watched Threads