The Student Room Group

Nvm?

(edited 2 years ago)
If you are doing your degree as a bachelor of science you will find having a level maths will be highly beneficial. This is because the economics part requires a substantial amount of maths. Most top unis require an A in maths in order to follow this pathway.
However if you want to do a bachelor of arts this is less mathematically focussed and will be assessed with essays and more coursework therefore maths isnt usually a requirement.

Therefore see if the course is BA or Bsc and then apply for the BA as you will be able to do this without maths.
Original post by Dominininc
If you are doing your degree as a bachelor of science you will find having a level maths will be highly beneficial. This is because the economics part requires a substantial amount of maths. Most top unis require an A in maths in order to follow this pathway.
However if you want to do a bachelor of arts this is less mathematically focussed and will be assessed with essays and more coursework therefore maths isnt usually a requirement.

Therefore see if the course is BA or Bsc and then apply for the BA as you will be able to do this without maths.

The course is a BA. So that’s good then. Thank u !
Original post by Randomperson1214
The course is a BA. So that’s good then. Thank u !

If a university has a Maths requirement they stick to it. They consider that is the level of Maths needed to complete the course. Nearly all leading universities require Maths A level grade A or A* for Economics.
BA or BSc doesnt really matter as some older universities just use BA as it is the older degree type. Have a look at all Economics courses in universities and they have the same Maths requirement as Economics in top universities is basically Maths.

Perhaps you should look at History alone which wont have the same requirement.
(edited 2 years ago)
Just a word of advice here: all Oxbridge 3 year courses are BAs. Even Science and Law courses. I don't know why this is, it just is :dontknow:

Not doing maths at A Level may well be a concern for those who are assessing you. Unless your maths skills and knowledge are otherwise very strong, you are likely to be less competitive than those who have studied A Level Maths, as they will have studied more advanced topics and their skills are likely to be sharper because they've studied Maths more recently.
Original post by swanseajack1
If a university has a Maths requirement they stick to it. They consider that is the level of Maths needed to complete the course. Nearly all leading universities require Maths A level grade A or A* for Economics.
BA or BSc doesnt really matter as some older universities just use BA as it is the older degree type. Have a look at all Economics courses in universities and they have the same Maths requirement as Economics in top universities is basically Maths.

Perhaps you should look at History alone which wont have the same requirement.

It’s not required it’s stated as ‘recommended’,
It’s not required it’s stated as ‘recommended’,

As per the reply above from an Oxford admission person if a subject is recommended you are at a massive disadvantage. Your chances of getting into any leading university let alone Oxford for an Economics course without A level Maths is very close to nil. Look at a subject that doesnt have Maths involvement. That will improve your chances.

Here are some examplesh
Typical offer for BSc Economics and Politics - applicants must meet one of the following
A-level
Standard offer AAA including Mathematics and an essay-based subject.

History, Politics and Economics at UCL

A Levels
GradesAAA Subjects Mathematics preferred.

Your chances of getting into a leading university for an Economics course without A level Maths is practically nil and you could end up with 5 rejections. The issue about BA and BSc doesnt apply to Oxford as they award BA's for all courses including Sciences unlike other universities which differentiate and the BA courses there are sometimes less mathematical biut that doesnt apply to the very top unis

Here is a list of universities of universities who dont require it.

Economics without A level Maths

Aberystwyth grade 4
Aston grade 5
Bangor grade 4
East Anglia grade 5
Essex grade 5
Hull grade 4
Kent grade 6
Lancaster grade 6
Leicester grade 5
Loughborough grade 6/7
Queens Belfast grade A
Reading grade 6
Royal Holloway grade 7
Stirling grade 4
Srathclyde grade 6
Surrey grade 7
Sussex grade 6
Swansea grade 5
Original post by swanseajack1
As per the reply above from an Oxford admission person if a subject is recommended you are at a massive disadvantage. Your chances of getting into any leading university let alone Oxford for an Economics course without A level Maths is very close to nil. Look at a subject that doesnt have Maths involvement. That will improve your chances.

Here are some examplesh
Typical offer for BSc Economics and Politics - applicants must meet one of the following
A-level
Standard offer AAA including Mathematics and an essay-based subject.

History, Politics and Economics at UCL

A Levels
GradesAAA Subjects Mathematics preferred.

Your chances of getting into a leading university for an Economics course without A level Maths is practically nil and you could end up with 5 rejections. The issue about BA and BSc doesnt apply to Oxford as they award BA's for all courses including Sciences unlike other universities which differentiate and the BA courses there are sometimes less mathematical biut that doesnt apply to the very top unis

Here is a list of universities of universities who dont require it.

Economics without A level Maths

Aberystwyth grade 4
Aston grade 5
Bangor grade 4
East Anglia grade 5
Essex grade 5
Hull grade 4
Kent grade 6
Lancaster grade 6
Leicester grade 5
Loughborough grade 6/7
Queens Belfast grade A
Reading grade 6
Royal Holloway grade 7
Stirling grade 4
Srathclyde grade 6
Surrey grade 7
Sussex grade 6
Swansea grade 5

That’s great, thank you very much! i think I’ll probably take a gap year and do maths a level within the gap year.
I want to apply for economics and history. The recommended subjects are maths and history. I do not do maths, but I do economics and history as a levels. How important are the recommended subjects they list on their website, and if you don’t have the subjects is that going to worsen your application?

I did look at a FoI response for E&H recently. Although I haven't the link to hand (you can easily search for it yourself at whatdotheyknow.com), I do recall that - at least for the applicants with A Levels - the proportion who did *not offer Maths at A Level was very small. Obviously, this doesn't mean those who didn't were necessarily at a disadvantage, but it might be an indicator....

Quick Reply

Latest