Zoology or Film Studies Degree (2021)

Watch
emek4official
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
So I am currently in Year 13 studying Biology, Maths and Drama. UCAS and university deadlines are slowly creeping up behind me and I feel like my brain is in a blender.

In Year 12, I wanted to do a BA Film Studies degree, then go drama school and get a Masters in Screen Acting. This would equip me with the skills for the film industry for jobs like acting, producing, directing. This is my DREAM.

Now in Year 13, my sister and Mum have put doubt in me doing Film Studies as I probably won't be able to find a job. So they said I should do something sciencey, then do a Masters in Screen Acting if I want to afterwards. They think it will give me greater job options. I can only see myself doing Zoology because I like animals and the environment. I would probably become a wildlife conservationist so I could work with endangered animals like pandas (my favourite animal).

I am currently part of the drama club, ecology committee, equality group. I have a really great Film Studies personal statement, my new Zoology personal statement needs ALOT of work. I mainly want to stay in London for university. I would do acting auditions, try to get into fashion modelling, I would start up a YouTube channel, create online courses, start investing and do other side hustles. All so that I would have multiple streams of income as a safety net.

Going to university to study Zoology would be cool, becasue there are so many opportunities to travel for field courses, we could study animals and there would be links to zoos. But, Film Studies would be amazing: I could meet and make connections with people in the industry - "It's not what you know, it's who you know!" Spend a term abroad in America and study Film. I could make and analyse films on the course and understand the film industry.

I a so confused. I don't want to make a decision that I will regret in the future. What should I do?
VirtuallyZL
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
It seems like you'd rather do film studies, but you started wondering if it was a viable option, if you'd ever find a job. I can't tell you what to do, but I can tell you I've been in a similar situation (and my mother before me), and it might help you feel less lost. Keep in mind I was in France at that time, so it might be a bit different, but here it is. When I finished secondary school (in 2014, I was 17 at the time), I didn't know what to do : go to university to study physics or audition for music shool. I loved both, I actully wanted to be a physicist since I was 12, and it was a "safer" route, so I went to university and kept playing on the side. I ended up dropping out after a year to go to a music in England. I came back to France, still studying music, gigging and jobbing on the side, then, one thing lead to another and I started acting. Now I've just graduated from drama school (back in England) and I'm about to start a MA in Theatre Directing, something I had never thought about until this year. As for my mother, she ended doing her masters in law, and never used it, went straight into theatre when she graduated.

So yes, zoology might be "safer", but you might never use your degree, and regret this. And you never know how your aspirations might change, or what time will bring.

I don't know if it helped at all, but remember you're still young, you have all your lifre in front of you (sounds cheesy, but it's true)
McGinger
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Read this - all of of it : https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/uni...-what-to-study
Then look at this : https://www.prospects.ac.uk/
emek4official
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by VirtuallyZL)
It seems like you'd rather do film studies, but you started wondering if it was a viable option, if you'd ever find a job. I can't tell you what to do, but I can tell you I've been in a similar situation (and my mother before me), and it might help you feel less lost. Keep in mind I was in France at that time, so it might be a bit different, but here it is. When I finished secondary school (in 2014, I was 17 at the time), I didn't know what to do : go to university to study physics or audition for music shool. I loved both, I actully wanted to be a physicist since I was 12, and it was a "safer" route, so I went to university and kept playing on the side. I ended up dropping out after a year to go to a music in England. I came back to France, still studying music, gigging and jobbing on the side, then, one thing lead to another and I started acting. Now I've just graduated from drama school (back in England) and I'm about to start a MA in Theatre Directing, something I had never thought about until this year. As for my mother, she ended doing her masters in law, and never used it, went straight into theatre when she graduated.

So yes, zoology might be "safer", but you might never use your degree, and regret this. And you never know how your aspirations might change, or what time will bring.

I don't know if it helped at all, but remember you're still young, you have all your lifre in front of you (sounds cheesy, but it's true)
Thank you so much, such an inspiration.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling now you've started university?

I'm loving it! (57)
14.65%
I'm enjoying it but I'm still settling in (98)
25.19%
I'm a bit unsure (67)
17.22%
I'm finding things difficult (133)
34.19%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (34)
8.74%

Watched Threads