NualaC87
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hi guys,

I am going to apply for my teacher training next month for 2022. In the meantime I applied for a temporary Learning Support Assistant post in a local secondary school - to commence ASAP and finish summer 2022, so its IDEAL for me.

I only applied on Thursday, phoned Friday, interview TOMORROW!!!!
The plan is - tour, sit in a lesson for 1 hour where Ill be observed supporting the kids with a teacher present, then formal interview.
My query is this... what am I going to be expected to do with the kids? Im unsure where the line is on what I am meant to do / not do etc.

My background is nursing, where I have cared for kids etc so I have experience with kids/young adults, however zero classroom experience!!

If anyone can offer any advice on what I should be expected to do in the classroom, or any interview tips/ suggestions etc I would be forever grateful.
Thanks so much x
bluebeetle
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by NualaC87)
Hi guys,

I am going to apply for my teacher training next month for 2022. In the meantime I applied for a temporary Learning Support Assistant post in a local secondary school - to commence ASAP and finish summer 2022, so its IDEAL for me.

I only applied on Thursday, phoned Friday, interview TOMORROW!!!!
The plan is - tour, sit in a lesson for 1 hour where Ill be observed supporting the kids with a teacher present, then formal interview.
My query is this... what am I going to be expected to do with the kids? Im unsure where the line is on what I am meant to do / not do etc.

My background is nursing, where I have cared for kids etc so I have experience with kids/young adults, however zero classroom experience!!

If anyone can offer any advice on what I should be expected to do in the classroom, or any interview tips/ suggestions etc I would be forever grateful.
Thanks so much x
I'm a teacher, not an LSA, but have had some very experienced and excellent LSAs in my classes. In a typical lesson, an LSA will:

- Help students to come in calmly and get on with the starter, focusing on any 'slow-to-start' students

- Listen while the teacher is instructing / teaching and (crucially) don't talk to the kids during this. There are obviously exceptions, like if the teacher has asked everybody to copy something and you spot a student not doing this, you might repeat that instruction for them, or you might have a brief word to prompt a student to focus.

- When students are doing more independent work, circulate (or sit with a group of students that you are there to support) and help when students are stuck. Try your best not to spoonfeed the students - often students expect LSAs to be 'softer' than the teacher and give them the answer, but try to avoid doing this. Instead, you can re-explain the teacher's instructions (and maybe chunk them down into clearer steps), point to a part in their notes / the textbook that is relevant and support them in reading that, or give them a similar (but slightly different) example.

The very best LSAs that I've had are those that really listen to the way I am teaching a concept, and try to reinforce that with their support. So for example, if I am teaching timesing by 10, 100, 1000 and I am explaining it in terms of a place value table, the LSA will do the same. Some weaker LSAs that I have had will tend to give 'easier' explanations that are different from mine (e.g. "Just add 0s to the end of the number") without necessarily realising that I have chosen my method of explanation very deliberately to support understanding in the next topic.
NualaC87
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by bluebeetle)
I'm a teacher, not an LSA, but have had some very experienced and excellent LSAs in my classes. In a typical lesson, an LSA will:

- Help students to come in calmly and get on with the starter, focusing on any 'slow-to-start' students

- Listen while the teacher is instructing / teaching and (crucially) don't talk to the kids during this. There are obviously exceptions, like if the teacher has asked everybody to copy something and you spot a student not doing this, you might repeat that instruction for them, or you might have a brief word to prompt a student to focus.

- When students are doing more independent work, circulate (or sit with a group of students that you are there to support) and help when students are stuck. Try your best not to spoonfeed the students - often students expect LSAs to be 'softer' than the teacher and give them the answer, but try to avoid doing this. Instead, you can re-explain the teacher's instructions (and maybe chunk them down into clearer steps), point to a part in their notes / the textbook that is relevant and support them in reading that, or give them a similar (but slightly different) example.

The very best LSAs that I've had are those that really listen to the way I am teaching a concept, and try to reinforce that with their support. So for example, if I am teaching timesing by 10, 100, 1000 and I am explaining it in terms of a place value table, the LSA will do the same. Some weaker LSAs that I have had will tend to give 'easier' explanations that are different from mine (e.g. "Just add 0s to the end of the number") without necessarily realising that I have chosen my method of explanation very deliberately to support understanding in the next topic.
God thank you so much for such a detailed answer, that’s so helpful. God I’m quite overwhelmed by it all lol, I’m actually terrified I’m going to get complete stage fright and just sit there like a mute lol xxx
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (312)
57.88%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (76)
14.1%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (60)
11.13%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (45)
8.35%
I haven't started researching yet (26)
4.82%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (20)
3.71%

Watched Threads