Do I have the chance at getting into an Ivy League?

Watch
sethG9
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
I am 16 years old living in the UK, and I’m currently in yr 12 (junior year). At GCSEs I achieved three 8s (A*s), four 7s (As), one 6 (B). one 1 5 (B-), and one 4 (c). Will I be able to get into an ivy league in the US, as well as investment banking?
Anonymous #1
Report 3 weeks ago
Ivy league is just a sports conference, made up of North-East old colonial universities that couldn't be more different to each other. Columbia and Dartmouth are like chalk and cheese for example. They are prestigious and generally very hard to get into, but the US is a big place and there are many more very good universities around, which you might have better chances at. You really should dive a little deeper than that, it's sort of saying you'd like to go to University in London.
For the tippy top US unis your GCSEs are on the low side, unless you really ace your A-levels it will be difficult (or unless you have special ECs). Still, as said above there are many very good colleges around that you could apply to. Check out the top 2-3 sticky threads in Studying in North America- very good info there, on applying and Financial Aid.
You can get into Inv Banking in many ways, for a Brit by far the best bet are LSE and Warwick, I'd say. Big feeders to the City. GL
Ak4753
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Ivy league is just a sports conference, made up of North-East old colonial universities that couldn't be more different to each other. Columbia and Dartmouth are like chalk and cheese for example. They are prestigious and generally very hard to get into, but the US is a big place and there are many more very good universities around, which you might have better chances at. You really should dive a little deeper than that, it's sort of saying you'd like to go to University in London.
For the tippy top US unis your GCSEs are on the low side, unless you really ace your A-levels it will be difficult (or unless you have special ECs). Still, as said above there are many very good colleges around that you could apply to. Check out the top 2-3 sticky threads in Studying in North America- very good info there, on applying and Financial Aid.
You can get into Inv Banking in many ways, for a Brit by far the best bet are LSE and Warwick, I'd say. Big feeders to the City. GL
lol.

The biggest feeders are Oxbridge, LSE, Imperial, UCL, and Warwick. Outside of Econ and maths, Warwick is actually on the lower side of target so I'm not sure where "by far" came from.
Ak4753
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by sethG9)
I am 16 years old living in the UK, and I’m currently in yr 12 (junior year). At GCSEs I achieved three 8s (A*s), four 7s (As), one 6 (B). one 1 5 (B-), and one 4 (c). Will I be able to get into an ivy league in the US, as well as investment banking?
Prep for SATs and come back. Too early to call.
Anonymous #1
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Ak4753)
lol.

The biggest feeders are Oxbridge, LSE, Imperial, UCL, and Warwick. Outside of Econ and maths, Warwick is actually on the lower side of target so I'm not sure where "by far" came from.
lol yourself. I thought Oxbridge would be a given ofc, which industry are they not big feeders too? Imperial is more for the quants, not so much the Inv. Banking side, UCL is for banking in general and just because it's huge. Warwick Econ/Maths is up there with the best. LSE is the strongest brand in the US (Oxbdrige aside ofc).
In general degrees with hard math/econ slant are well liked, aside from the rocket scientists ofc, but those are not bankers per se, and their skills are easily transferable across industries.
No need to be glib and annoying (see your successive answer as well). People come here to ask/give advice in good faith. You can disagree, but nobody is interested in the sharpness of your tongue/fingers.
Ak4753
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
lol yourself. I thought Oxbridge would be a given ofc, which industry are they not big feeders too? Imperial is more for the quants, not so much the Inv. Banking side, UCL is for banking in general and just because it's huge. Warwick Econ/Maths is up there with the best. LSE is the strongest brand in the US (Oxbdrige aside ofc).
In general degrees with hard math/econ slant are well liked, aside from the rocket scientists ofc, but those are not bankers per se, and their skills are easily transferable across industries.
No need to be glib and annoying (see your successive answer as well). People come here to ask/give advice in good faith. You can disagree, but nobody is interested in the sharpness of your tongue/fingers.
You said Warwick and LSE would be your best bets by far. I'm saying singling Warwick out as one of your "best bets by far" when it statistically places similar if not less than all other targets is lol-worthy. yes it is one of the best bets but not ahead of the 4 other unis you neglected and not for the majority of its courses.

Again, no. Oxford is the strongest brand in the US then Cambridge. LSE places well in the US but is NOT the strongest brand anywhere to be honest.
Last edited by Ak4753; 3 weeks ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (238)
57.49%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (53)
12.8%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (46)
11.11%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (36)
8.7%
I haven't started researching yet (23)
5.56%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (18)
4.35%

Watched Threads