When does physics at Nottingham include wavefunctions?

Watch
Zuvio
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
In the physics course at Nottingham, are wavefunctions studied in one of the first year modules, or "wave phenomena" or "the quantum world" in 2nd year, or somewhere else?
Last edited by Zuvio; 2 months ago
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
Not a student there but "wave phenomena" probably refers to things like optics, harmonic motion, fourier analysis and the wave equation - classical physics topics, basically. So I guess quantum physics wavefunctions will show up in the module that's explicitly about quantum stuff. Some universities introduce it in first year, some leave it until second year.

Any physics course that calls itself a physics course will involve wavefunctions.
Last edited by Sinnoh; 3 months ago
lucymwoodward
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Zuvio)
I'm just wondering if the Physics course at Nottingham includes studying wave functions. If so, is it in one of the first year modules, or "wave phenomena" or "the quantum world" in 2nd year, or somewhere else?
hey, I'm in third year of this course now and can safely say it definitely involves wavefunctions haha. We first were introduced to them in 1st year in the Newton to Einstein and Frontiers in Physics modules, then used them all the time in The Quantum World, Thermal & Statistical and Wave Phenomena in second year. They're a staple really. hope this helps
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

When did you submit your Ucas application if you applied to go to university this year?

September 2021 (5)
7.46%
October 2021 (38)
56.72%
November 2021 (8)
11.94%
December 2021 (7)
10.45%
January 2021 (5)
7.46%
I still haven't submitted it yet! (2)
2.99%