M_g2134
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
I have just started sixth form and am doing 4 subjects; history, economics, maths and psychology. I also started my gold dofe award and am working towards that and have got a student leadership position within my school. I want to study law at uni and have been told that doing an EPQ will be beneficial but I’m not sure if that would become too much work for me or what.
Can anyone suggest if I should do an EPQ or not and if I don’t, will I be at a disadvantage when applying to uni?
username5811664
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Well. 4 subjects is alot! I know someone who did 4 subject and took an EPQ and had a role in the house team, and other extracurricular events out of school. However in this situation it was during lockdown and she was bored and started EPQ early and finished early. Based on your situation, you can be at a big disadvantage if your predicted grades are high and you are struggling to achieved them for a specific course and you have EPQ, its possible that it can lower your entry grade depending on the uni. But you are at risk of over working yourself because it was quite a workload for me with just 3 subjects and then EPQ on top. I had no choice but to do it. I hope someone who did 4 subjects and EQP comes on here because they can advise you better.

However if you dont do EPQ, you won't add to the pile of workload you already have and be less stressed but you are at risk of not being able to reduce your entry grade. In the end my EPQ grade was basically if I slipped up in any of my subject grades but it was fine in the end. If i didn't make any sense just ask me.
CaptainDuckie
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Everyone I have met that has done 4 A Levels have regretted it.

No university asks you to do 4 A level.

No, it doesn’t “boost” your application. It is redundant. Unless you want to keep your options open then fair enough.
Last edited by CaptainDuckie; 2 weeks ago
M_g2134
Rep:
?
(Original post by CaptainDuckie)
Everyone I have met that has done 4 A Levels have regretted it.

No university asks you to do 4 A level.

No, it doesn’t “boost” your application. It is redundant. Unless you want to keep your options open then fair enough.
My school doesn’t allow me to only do just 3 A Levels due to my GCSE grade average. It’s not 4 A Levels tho, it’s 3 A Levels and an AS which I have to do.
M_g2134
Rep:
?
(Original post by DeterminedGem21)
Well. 4 subjects is alot! I know someone who did 4 subject and took an EPQ and had a role in the house team, and other extracurricular events out of school. However in this situation it was during lockdown and she was bored and started EPQ early and finished early. Based on your situation, you can be at a big disadvantage if your predicted grades are high and you are struggling to achieved them for a specific course and you have EPQ, its possible that it can lower your entry grade depending on the uni. But you are at risk of over working yourself because it was quite a workload for me with just 3 subjects and then EPQ on top. I had no choice but to do it. I hope someone who did 4 subjects and EQP comes on here because they can advise you better.

However if you dont do EPQ, you won't add to the pile of workload you already have and be less stressed but you are at risk of not being able to reduce your entry grade. In the end my EPQ grade was basically if I slipped up in any of my subject grades but it was fine in the end. If i didn't make any sense just ask me.
I want to study law at uni and most aspiring law students at competitive unis do an EPQ which would put me at a disadvantage which is why I think I should just suck it up and just work.
username5811664
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by M_g2134)
I want to study law at uni and most aspiring law students at competitive unis do an EPQ which would put me at a disadvantage which is why I think I should just suck it up and just work.
oh wow... but still... you should think about yourself and not compare yourselves to other students... If you believe you can do EPQ along with 4 other subjects and be able to juggle them. That's fine. However you need to think about your mental health as well and that you wouldn't regret it terribly later.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling now you've started university?

I'm loving it! (51)
13.9%
I'm enjoying it but I'm still settling in (94)
25.61%
I'm a bit unsure (63)
17.17%
I'm finding things difficult (127)
34.6%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (32)
8.72%

Watched Threads