The Student Room Group

Choosing the right law course

Scroll to see replies

Original post by patriciadh
Apologies, if you don't mind me asking! Which universities have you applied to, and for which courses? Additionally, what were your predicted grades?

I am applying to LSE, KCL, Queen Mary's and SOAS for Law LLB and Royal Holloway for Law and Criminalogy with a year in industry. My predicted grades are currently AAA but I am working on increasing it to A*AA by November as the school will decide with our more recent exams and teacher's opinions.
Original post by harrysbar
Just do a Law degree then and don't worry about what your teacher said. She is wrong and shouldn't really be giving our careers advice unless she has recent training (clearly not) though no doubt it is what she personally believes for some odd reason.

Yhh I was thinking that too. He did say he's not sure so another teacher also told me the same thing which got me thinking. I thought it would be better to ask someone doing the same things as me or with more experience like a lawyer. My English Teacher's sister is a lawyer and he'll get back to me in a few days with her opinion. I'll let you guys know what she says if it is any different.
Original post by Istudytoomuch
I haven't heard of doing an SQE directly. I thought anyone with a non-law degree had to an GDL before the SQE or the Bar route. But I think even if their was an option a GDL would be more favourable because you would have more knowledge of the law but only your first degree is funded so it would be slightly more expensive. Plus not all universities offer a GDL and it can be intense because it's a lot of legal knowledge to learn in a single year, which is why I personally didn't want to do it unless I had to for the sake of employment. It might be better if you want another degree at first to keep your employment options flexible.

You can do the SQE provided you have a degree in any subject or equivalent (e.g. CILEx fully qualified). BARBRI offer SQE training targeted at this group. In reality though I can't find any law firm who thinks it's a good idea!

My challenge is to find a cost effective legal education because I have no intention of becoming a solicitor or a barrister but I need a better grounding to open more doors in the company secretarial field. SQE seems inappropriate because although it's cheap it screams "wannabe solicitor." And having spent the last three years considering stepping across from company secretarial to solicitor in my career, I've concluded it would be bloody stupid and unlikely to be more lucrative!

I'm now considering the University of London external LLB as it ticks a lot of boxes. It's cheap and as I don't want a qualifying law degree, I can avoid wasting time studying land law.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending