Am I ****ed? Can’t make friends with course mates…

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Am i f****d? I decided not to finish living in halls last year due to anxiety and COVID. As a result I know nobody in halls and nobody on my course. I assumed I’d start my course and everyone would be in a similar boat when it comes to knowing course mates but everyone seems to know each other from halls. I feel really embarrassed and left out now because when everyone meets each other they talk about which halls they were in, mutual friends etc, none of which I can relate. When people find I studied from home and am now living in halls for the first time, they find it strange and I’ve now somehow pictured myself as a bit of a loner.
davis2001
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
All i can say really is just join societies and try to make freinds in your seminars, but i know how you feel, im in the exact same boat right now.
University of Bradford
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Am i f****d? I decided not to finish living in halls last year due to anxiety and COVID. As a result I know nobody in halls and nobody on my course. I assumed I’d start my course and everyone would be in a similar boat when it comes to knowing course mates but everyone seems to know each other from halls. I feel really embarrassed and left out now because when everyone meets each other they talk about which halls they were in, mutual friends etc, none of which I can relate. When people find I studied from home and am now living in halls for the first time, they find it strange and I’ve now somehow pictured myself as a bit of a loner.
Hey, I hope you're keeping well.

Try not put too much pressure on yourself, everyone experiences university life different and makes friends at different stages. There's no right or wrong way to experience student life. I know when I was a student I preferred to focus on my studies rather than going out and making friends. Have you thought about joining a club or society? That way you can surround yourself with people who share similar interests to you, making conversation that much easier. Or you could think about becoming a student ambassador and getting involved in university events, or identifying any volunteering opportunities to participate in on campus - both fab ways of meeting new people

I wish you the very best of luck with everything.

Becky
lucyyy12
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I'd try joining some societies.
I'm sure that you'll be able to make friends soon though as the course continues, and you won't be the only person who lived at home.
On my course literally nobody knows each other from last year because most of us lived at home aha
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (297)
57.45%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (72)
13.93%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (58)
11.22%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (44)
8.51%
I haven't started researching yet (26)
5.03%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (20)
3.87%

Watched Threads