Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
If I do a Pharmacy degree, can I transfer to medicine a year in?
McGinger
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Why dont you just apply for Medicine?
Anonymous #1
(Original post by McGinger)
Why dont you just apply for Medicine?
don't think ill be able to get in with my grades
McGinger
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
don't think ill be able to get in with my grades
Then you wont with a year of Pharmacy either.
Ionlikeu
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
No, you can apply to biomedicine at Queen Mary and transfer to medicine in year 2. Please don’t do pharmacy if you have no passion in the field and have ulterior motives, the profession is full of negativity because of applicants like this who got stuck with pharmacy. If you do pharmacy, you’ll have to commit to the degree and spend 5 years. You will regret it if you don’t want it in the first place. Do something like biomedicine/biochemistry if you want to do medicine later. Don’t do Pharmacy at all it’s conceptually harder and as tedious as medicine. You can also do Foundation medicine courses at Nottingham and many other universities. You will regret doing pharmacy just because it was the easier choice, it really isn’t. Good luck!
Last edited by Ionlikeu; 4 weeks ago
McGinger
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Ionlikeu)
Do something like biomedicine/biochemistry if you want to do medicine later.
Graduate Entry Medicine (GEM) is insanely competitive - and they will still look at A level grades.
What the OP needs to do is retake their A levels to get the right grades for Medicine - or commit to an entirely different degree and career.
Ionlikeu
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Graduate Entry Medicine (GEM) is insanely competitive - and they will still look at A level grades.
What the OP needs to do is retake their A levels to get the right grades for Medicine - or commit to an entirely different degree and career.
That is true, I agree, even after retaking Alevels, pharmacy is not a good undergraduate degree for graduate Entry since it is a masters. She/he/they needs to complete a 3 year science course if graduate medicine is the motive rather than a tedious 5 years of pharmacy.
McGinger
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Bradford has a good Foundation Year for Medicine course that leads directly to their Med degree - https://www.bradford.ac.uk/courses/u...ne-foundation/
Anonymous #1
Bradford has a good Foundation Year for Medicine course that leads directly to their Med degree - https://www.bradford.ac.uk/courses/u...ne-foundation/
Can you apply to medicine at any university after doing this foundation year even if your A levels aren't the best?
Anonymous #1
No, you can apply to biomedicine at Queen Mary and transfer to medicine in year 2. Please don’t do pharmacy if you have no passion in the field and have ulterior motives, the profession is full of negativity because of applicants like this who got stuck with pharmacy. If you do pharmacy, you’ll have to commit to the degree and spend 5 years. You will regret it if you don’t want it in the first place. Do something like biomedicine/biochemistry if you want to do medicine later. Don’t do Pharmacy at all it’s conceptually harder and as tedious as medicine. You can also do Foundation medicine courses at Nottingham and many other universities. You will regret doing pharmacy just because it was the easier choice, it really isn’t. Good luck!
thank you so much for your help! I originally did want to do Medicine but I'm trying to think realistically and consider if Pharmacy may be a better option for me. I will do more research on biochemistry/ related degrees
Ionlikeu
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
thank you so much for your help! I originally did want to do Medicine but I'm trying to think realistically and consider if Pharmacy may be a better option for me. I will do more research on biochemistry/ related degrees
Do what YOU want. I believe you can get into medicine, you deserve your dream and not ur backup just because you don’t think you’ll get the grades. Good pharmacy schools need AAB, medicine need AAA, basically the same! Trust me I know a lot of med rejects who have done pharmacy and absolutely regret it and wish they tried again! Rather you resist many times than spend five years on something that wasn’t the goal! Glad to help x.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Do what YOU want. I believe you can get into medicine, you deserve your dream and not ur backup just because you don’t think you’ll get the grades. Good pharmacy schools need AAB, medicine need AAA, basically the same! Trust me I know a lot of med rejects who have done pharmacy and absolutely regret it and wish they tried again! Rather you resist many times than spend five years on something that wasn’t the goal! Glad to help x.
Thank you so much! Just trying to see if there's any other routes which can allow me to do Medicine without getting the grades needed. Do feel a bit stressed since the UCAS deadline is soon and I still don't know exactly what to do
spectrum84
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
No, unless u get the grades a year in pharmacy won't make up for them I'm afraid
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (317)
57.22%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (77)
13.9%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (62)
11.19%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (49)
8.84%
I haven't started researching yet (28)
5.05%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (21)
3.79%

Watched Threads