The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Year Abroad Maths at Imperial

Is the G104 course, Msc Mathematics with a year abroad, more difficult to get into than the typical G100, BSc Mathematics, course at Imperial College. Also, why is the acceptance rate 1 in 12, as per their website, when I remember finding somewhere that they have an offer rate of around 30%, which would be roughly the same as Cambridge Maths, however, Cambridge has almost twice the admissions rate.

Regardless, with 4 A* in Maths Further Maths History and Economics, what would you guys recommend I do?
Reply 1
Not everyone who gets an offer accepts it that why is like 1:12
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 2
The ratio of applications to people who actually end up starting the course is 12:1. That's different to the offer rate.
Reply 3
Original post by Sinnoh
The ratio of applications to people who actually end up starting the course is 12:1. That's different to the offer rate.

Yes, I'm aware but why would such a large amount of applicants turn down offers to a uni on par with Oxbridge, while almost double accept for Oxbridge. Would you say it is easier to get an offer from Imperial than Oxbridge?
Original post by dan140804
Yes, I'm aware but why would such a large amount of applicants turn down offers to a uni on par with Oxbridge, while almost double accept for Oxbridge. Would you say it is easier to get an offer from Imperial than Oxbridge?

Probably because most applying to Imperial are also applying to Oxbridge (and Warwick) - many may then choose to go to Oxbridge or Warwick rather than Imperial (probably the former). You have to consider the overlap in applicants there, which is very large for those unis and that course.

Also something to bear in mind is cohort sizes; it may be that maths at Imperial is smaller than at Cambridge, which is a very large cohort. I don't actually know how big the cohort at Imperial is though.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 5

Among applicants, Oxford and Cambridge are often seen as a bigger prize. It is definitely easier to get an offer for maths from Imperial than from Oxford or Cambridge.

Also note that about one quarter of all imperial math offer holders have a step offer- so it includes the ppl who missed out the offer due to step

Quick Reply

Latest