The Student Room Group

I NEED HELP - A LEVELs ( Decision Experts Needed) -

I am currently in Year 12 and I am undecided on what I want to study.

I have no clue what I want to do in the future yet I have always kept the traditional careers in mind, probably due to the high status part, but who knows, I keep question what I genuinely enjoy and I've had opinions from people I am afraid that might have internalized subconsciously and I don't know what I want to do, they have said biology is for girls and physics is the route to success, obviously it doesn't matter about the gender and a subject isnt defined, I don't want my opinions or decision to defined by anyone else, and I am scared I might do, when I am in lessons, I constantly questions whether I genuinely like a subject or I am finding boring

how to choose A levels and How do I know what I enjoy geuinely , I tried to keep my pathways open but IDK, I am so confused... How do I know I am bored or Enjoy something, Do I take 5 a LEVELS, this is considering I have already done AS year before on many subjects, I don't know. How would I know if I am lying to myself, As my interest keep changing , I like everything and nothing....
I love sharing my opinions and I do like problem solving, I have been interested in Humanities when I was younger and science and english, but now I QUESTION IT ALL

I have talked to the teachers, trialled out few lessons, did research into prospectus and done personality test, I am none the wiser...ugh

Please advice on process , and your experience of the subject objectively and not advice what I should take

maybe spec, skills

How to know if I am forcing my self or actually like something or lying to me self

I want to be impartial and not have any unconscious bias how do I do this,and get rid of any internalized misogyny and homophobia,, I want to get rid of any and I want to be open minded, thank you

I KNOW its intense, but trust me I have been finding the last few years hard inc my own issues

ALso when I try subjects, I get overwhelmed with the pressure to decide like in physcis I keep think If i like it or not and then I get strained in my brain and then that adds to the thought if I like it or not
(edited 2 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Help anyone?
:s-smilie::confused::smile:
Original post by LearningHelp1234
Do I take 5 a LEVELS, this is considering I have already done AS year before on many subjects, I don't know. How would I know if I am lying to myself, As my interest keep changing , I like everything and nothing....

don't take 5 A-Levels if you value your mental wellbeing, social life, hobbies and free time, don't even take 4 if 2 of the subjects are not math and fm. A-Levels are no walk in the park
Original post by summerbirdreads
don't take 5 A-Levels if you value your mental wellbeing, social life, hobbies and free time, don't even take 4 if 2 of the subjects are not math and fm. A-Levels are no walk in the park

Thank you for your response, I apprciate that I just got motivated because I can't decide so I have a wide array of subject and I have seen people and have been advice of maybe doing so...but other then that, do you have any reccomendation to the other questions...thank you
Thank you for your response, I apprciate that I just got motivated because I can't decide so I have a wide array of subject and I have seen people and have been advice of maybe doing so...but other then that, do you have any reccomendation to the other questions...thank you

research some uni courses that suits your fancy and pick a-levels according ti the requirements and recommendations for that course
Reply 6
This might sound like odd advice, but try not to worry to much about what career you want to do, and just do subjects that you are good at and that you think you will enjoy. The vast majority of people end up having careers that have nothing to do with their degrees, let alone their A-level subjects.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by lalexm
This might sound like odd advice, but try not to worry to much about what career you want to do, and just do subjects that you are good at and that you think you will enjoy. The vast majority of people end up having careers that have nothing to do with their degrees, let alone their A-level subjects.

Thank you, I just put pressure on myself to succeed, I want to feel value so I always looked at traditional careers - like Law, Doctor and Engineering,

I geuniely feel like I don't know what I enjoy and get bored with, How can I even know. It's hard especially since I philosophise every little bit of this decision, Do I know what enjoying is or bored is, Am I lying to myself, Am I following others opinions???
Thank you, I just put pressure on myself to succeed, I want to feel value so I always looked at traditional careers - like Law, Doctor and Engineering,

I geuniely feel like I don't know what I enjoy and get bored with, How can I even know. It's hard especially since I philosophise every little bit of this decision, Do I know what enjoying is or bored is, Am I lying to myself, Am I following others opinions???

do you have OCD or anxiety?
do you have OCD or anxiety?

Why, does it come across like that? I do have Diagnosed OCD, but I thought it only works for my triggers, and I have talked to therapists about this and nothing is progressing tbh, thank you for your patience, while I trauma dump...
Why, does it come across like that? I do have Diagnosed OCD, but I thought it only works for my triggers, and I have talked to therapists about this and nothing is progressing tbh, thank you for your patience, while I trauma dump...

you seemed to overthink and question yourself quite a lot in your post and that made me wonder. I'm diagnosed with OCD as well and I tend have these kind of intrusive thoughts about my decisions and whether I genuinely enjoyed stuff or not, exactly like you described in your post and apparently that's because of my OCD
Reply 11

Not sure anyone can help you decide what you do and don’t enjoy I’m afraid. Only you know that, but if you genuinely can’t decide, maybr just look at what you are good at as per your GCSE results.
you seemed to overthink and question yourself quite a lot in your post and that made me wonder. I'm diagnosed with OCD as well and I tend have these kind of intrusive thoughts about my decisions and whether I genuinely enjoyed stuff or not, exactly like you described in your post and apparently that's because of my OCD

I always knew it took part in my decision but it just hit me how much it actually does, this thing is the only source of my unhappiness, I can't believe how much it has affects my life, wow. How does it affect you and How did you overcome it? Its lead me to waste the last few years of my life, I hate OCD. Thank you for helping me notice that
I always knew it took part in my decision but it just hit me how much it actually does, this thing is the only source of my unhappiness, I can't believe how much it has affects my life, wow. How does it affect you and How did you overcome it? Its lead me to waste the last few years of my life, I hate OCD. Thank you for helping me notice that

therapy helped me but more than that, I knew for a fact that these thoughts were just intrusive thoughts not an actual manifestations of my desires or what I enjoy and that these thoughts do not define what I like or dislike, I learned to treat these thoughts as nuisance and I focused on what I knew I loved and enjoyed and that helped me ig, but I do get these thoughts every now and then where i contemplate whether I really enjoy my subjects or why I want to do it in uni and why I care about grades or if I'm really passionate about anything in life but I do my best to ignore them and then they go away
therapy helped me but more than that, I knew for a fact that these thoughts were just intrusive thoughts not an actual manifestations of my desires or what I enjoy and that these thoughts do not define what I like or dislike, I learned to treat these thoughts as nuisance and I focused on what I knew I loved and enjoyed and that helped me ig, but I do get these thoughts every now and then where i contemplate whether I really enjoy my subjects or why I want to do it in uni and why I care about grades or if I'm really passionate about anything in life but I do my best to ignore them and then they go away

I'm really happy that your ocd is being resolved and I am sending more light and love to that, I just don't know how I can differeniate what I enjoy/love or bored and not like and the opinions from other and ocd... you know. I've tried trialling and now I am noticing this pattern tbh
Original post by Astraea56
I also have OCD and I'm here cos I've got the same problem- I don't know what I'd actually enjoy cos I've spent months over-analysing. I feel like I should have got counselling to help me make my A-level decisions but my parents don't believe that I have OCD and it's too late now cos I only have until Friday to choose between maths and Geography. What do I do? I'm really sorry for dumping my own problems on this thread but I'm really freaking out and need help

recognize the fact that most of your over-analyzing is due to your OCD that they're just intrusive thoughts, and then think about what you genuinely enjoy atm and make a decision based on that, also understand that your intrusive thoughts don't define what you enjoy or like, they're just a nuisance and treat them as such
recognize the fact that most of your over-analyzing is due to your OCD that they're just intrusive thoughts, and then think about what you genuinely enjoy atm and make a decision based on that, also understand that your intrusive thoughts don't define what you enjoy or like, they're just a nuisance and treat them as such

Is that actually possible? I don't know how to tell what's an intrusive thought and what isn't, I can't tell the difference between the real me and my OCD anymore, it's horrible.
Is that actually possible? I don't know how to tell what's an intrusive thought and what isn't, I can't tell the difference between the real me and my OCD anymore, it's horrible.

you should probably talk to a professional about this

I want a career in science. I started doing bio, chem, maths and phys cos I couldn't choose what to drop in time for the start of 6th form. After months of questioning whether I really want a career in biology or whether I'd just been forcing myself into it because of my parent's hobbies, I decided to go the biology route and drop physics. This was because I managed to convince myself that I do genuinely really enjoy bio, and that I don't like maths enough to have a career in it. I never liked maths but took it cos I thought loads of courses need it, and because I couldn't let go of the idea of doing astro/quantum phys. When I dropped phys tho, I started questioning maths again. I don't know whether to drop it cos the only thing I'm interested in that requires maths is geology, and I'm really scared that I wouldn't get an A in maths, or that in trying to get one I'd drag down my other grades (I got an 8 at GCSE by working rly hard at the end but apparently the A-level is super hard).

I totally feel you I'm exactly the same haha like I considered doing astrophysics because my brain convinced me that was the most respectable and hardest science but I knew deep down that's bs and not true at all and my true passion was chemistry despite what my thoughts tell me

I agree, its just the internalising and moving past my ocd, I don't seem to understand, I have been overanalysing for so long that, like the other person I forgot what I enjoy and am bored with. could you tell me everything you know about what helped you...
how did you know when you geuinely enjoyed something or something you were bored by ? and how did you know what was right for you... I guess I want to know whether or not I am lying to my self or making a fake idea forcing myself.... also my interest keep changing so how do I even keep up...thank you SummerBirdreads!
(edited 2 years ago)
I want a career in science. I started doing bio, chem, maths and phys cos I couldn't choose what to drop in time for the start of 6th form. After months of questioning whether I really want a career in biology or whether I'd just been forcing myself into it because of my parent's hobbies, I decided to go the biology route and drop physics. This was because I managed to convince myself that I do genuinely really enjoy bio, and that I don't like maths enough to have a career in it. I never liked maths but took it cos I thought loads of courses need it, and because I couldn't let go of the idea of doing astro/quantum phys. When I dropped phys tho, I started questioning maths again. I don't know whether to drop it cos the only thing I'm interested in that requires maths is geology, and I'm really scared that I wouldn't get an A in maths, or that in trying to get one I'd drag down my other grades (I got an 8 at GCSE by working rly hard at the end but apparently the A-level is super hard).

I appriciate you have the similar problem but I feel frustrated of posting your problem especially you have your own thread, i already have stress over my situation and me already stating what I need and then alternative post causes me more anxiety, my advice would be go towards what you like more and need... you have to see where im coming across....its like your taking up my space designed for me. * i made ....but with empathy im going to say which career you want to go into
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest