Challenger2000
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I want to apply for an open university course for primary education.

It is an undergraduate course without QTS, can I obtain this in the future? Or is it entirely pointless? Help!!! I’m confused.
Last edited by Challenger2000; 4 weeks ago
1secondsofvamps
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Kinda pointless if you ask me.

Is there anything stopping you from doing Primary Education with QTS at university? You'll be a teacher in 3 years without additional studying.
Challenger2000
Rep:
?
Two reasons really. 1) uni has never really been an interest of mine - physically going, that is.2) I’m currently studying a level 3 in childcare so I can’t yet.
1secondsofvamps
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Challenger2000)
Two reasons really. 1) uni has never really been an interest of mine - physically going, that is.2) I’m currently studying a level 3 in childcare so I can’t yet.
Even with a PGCE to obtain your QTS, you still have to attend in-person lectures.

You're probably better off paying for 3 years of tuition fees rather than 4.

I am a primary school teacher and personally, part of me does wish i did a Primary Ed with QTS for my undergrad. It's just so much easier.
Challenger2000
Rep:
?
(Original post by 1secondsofvamps)
Even with a PGCE to obtain your QTS, you still have to attend in-person lectures.

You're probably better off paying for 3 years of tuition fees rather than 4.

I am a primary school teacher and personally, part of me does wish i did a Primary Ed with QTS for my undergrad. It's just so much easier.
I’m only taking the level 3 diploma to get into Uni for primary education. However will that even get me in? Would access to higher education be the better option? I’m so stuck!
Get into Teaching
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Challenger2000)
I’m only taking the level 3 diploma to get into Uni for primary education. However will that even get me in? Would access to higher education be the better option? I’m so stuck!
Hi Challenger2000

Have you checked the course requirements for the Education degree? You will be able to find out if Level 3 in Childcare is suitable. You will also need to have GCSE maths, english and science at grades 4/C or above or equivalents to train to become a primary teacher, so if you haven't, make sure that you get those qualifications.

You can do an Education degree and then apply to to QTS (with or without PGCE) as a postgraduate. However, if it's physically attending a setting that is putting you off, as 1secondsofvamps said, a postgraduate teacher training course will be face to face for the duration. However there are options of where to train and you do not have to apply to a University. There are plenty of school based training providers.

I hope that helps and good luck!

Sue
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (313)
57.75%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (76)
14.02%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (61)
11.25%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (46)
8.49%
I haven't started researching yet (26)
4.8%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (20)
3.69%

Watched Threads