I'm taking a gap year... and I need help!

Watch
username5811664
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Hello everyone! (this is my first discussion post btw!)

I have decided to take a gap year in 2021 before I start university in September 2022. I already have a few ideas but my main one is being postponed (which is travelling to my home country and maybe doing a placement) due to the embassy being stupid. So I am currently trying to think of other things to do. My main focus is on self-development because I suck at being confident in myself and I am trying to be more and more independent (I finally got my driving license but I'm kinda nervous of going out on my own atm). I am also re-studying my maths and Computer Science because Covid-19 basically messed up my studying and I ended up cramming and studying a week before tests so I want to make sure I understand everything properly before I start uni.

So in summary any suitable gap year ideas that can help me become a better version of myself (and also how to try not to feel too lonely) ?
Emu_03
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
You could maybe try and get a job? That's what I'm planning to do
SeikoShinohara
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I would recommend learning a language or getting a job, regardless of whether it is voluntary or paid work. This is a time to expand your interests and CV!
aconstanthamlet
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hi there! I’ve just finished my gap year and it was one of the best decisions I’ve ever made (even during a pandemic without being able to travel), so good choice! Getting a job is a fantastic way of spending extra time in these unstable times. You’ll be able to meet new co-workers, develop new skills for your CV, gain more confidence and, most importantly, earn some money. You can also practice driving by commuting to work if your job isn’t in walking distance.

If you want some extra cash then selling on eBay is also fantastic. It might take a bit of time to sell something if you’re starting from scratch, but if you’re persistent then you’ll start raking in the money. Another great way to easily develop some simple business and listing skills whilst learning to handle customers and training yourself to have an eye for value. Textbooks and revision guides sell well, but you can buy some under priced second hand items from some shops and sell them on for more money too. I’ve only been doing it for two months and I’ve managed to sell quite a lot, so it’s definitely worth the initial effort!
username5811664
Rep:
?
(Original post by Emu_03)
You could maybe try and get a job? That's what I'm planning to do
I can try and get a volunteering job not sure if I can get paid job based on my parents response ¬¬¬
(Original post by SeikoShinohara)
I would recommend learning a language or getting a job, regardless of whether it is voluntary or paid work. This is a time to expand your interests and CV!
How could I forget that! I mean I had some bad experiences with learning a language at GCSE level but I guess it will be different now I'm at home. I do have some charity shops close by and i even thought about volunteering in a different country! Thank you for the advice!
(Original post by aconstanthamlet)
Hi there! I’ve just finished my gap year and it was one of the best decisions I’ve ever made (even during a pandemic without being able to travel), so good choice! Getting a job is a fantastic way of spending extra time in these unstable times. You’ll be able to meet new co-workers, develop new skills for your CV, gain more confidence and, most importantly, earn some money. You can also practice driving by commuting to work if your job isn’t in walking distance.

If you want some extra cash then selling on eBay is also fantastic. It might take a bit of time to sell something if you’re starting from scratch, but if you’re persistent then you’ll start raking in the money. Another great way to easily develop some simple business and listing skills whilst learning to handle customers and training yourself to have an eye for value. Textbooks and revision guides sell well, but you can buy some under priced second hand items from some shops and sell them on for more money too. I’ve only been doing it for two months and I’ve managed to sell quite a lot, so it’s definitely worth the initial effort!
I wanted to get a job but my parents view it as me getting extra money when I am already "living comfortably" which kinda irritated me. I just wanted to get work experience and earn money while doing it. But it is fine I can still apply for volunteering work so I will definitely do that! I've never thought about selling on ebay although it looks like a hassle so I will try it. Thank you for your advice!
neville420
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
You should get a job and ignore what your parents think, where's the harm in saving up money? Even if it's just a small part time job. It'll look good on your CV and will really help you in the future.
Other things to do I would suggest travelling around the country you live now a bit and exploring some places you've never been (having a license will make this easier)
Also try some new hobbies, is there anything you've ever really wanted to try but not had the time?
The most important thing to do with this gap year is to have fun and live life, don't let anything stop you!
username5811664
Rep:
?
(Original post by neville420)
You should get a job and ignore what your parents think, where's the harm in saving up money? Even if it's just a small part time job. It'll look good on your CV and will really help you in the future.
Other things to do I would suggest travelling around the country you live now a bit and exploring some places you've never been (having a license will make this easier)
Also try some new hobbies, is there anything you've ever really wanted to try but not had the time?
The most important thing to do with this gap year is to have fun and live life, don't let anything stop you!
Thank you!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling now you've started university?

I'm loving it! (51)
13.9%
I'm enjoying it but I'm still settling in (94)
25.61%
I'm a bit unsure (63)
17.17%
I'm finding things difficult (127)
34.6%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (32)
8.72%

Watched Threads