University halls tap water is awful

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
I just tried the tap water in my Uni halls and its rank. How much water are we meant to drink on average per day so I know how much I need to buy next time I go to Asda.
black tea
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
1.5-2 litres
SpaceLover29
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
It might not be "university tap water". It might just be the water in that area. Water tastes different in different areas of the country. (Although it might also be something to do with the university, I'm no water expert).
Admit-One
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Buy a water filter jug. It'll save carrying bottles of water back from the shops.
black tea
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Admit-One)
Buy a water filter jug. It'll save carrying bottles of water back from the shops.
would that alter the taste?
Moonlight Rain
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
2 liters
I've never tasted bad water before well except when it isn't cold
Joleee
Report 3 months ago
maybe try buying a Brita water filter or a cheaper version of one? buying bottled water everyday is going to add up.
Admit-One
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by black tea)
would that alter the taste?
It depends what is up with the water in the first place. You can get a cheap filter jug from Wilko for £5, so i think it's worth a try before committing to shifting bottles of water from Tesco or whatever.

https://www.wilko.com/en-uk/wilko-24...-jug/p/0238284
okihello
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I just tried the tap water in my Uni halls and its rank. How much water are we meant to drink on average per day so I know how much I need to buy next time I go to Asda.
9 litres per day
Admit-One
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by okihello)
9 litres per day
It’s 6-8 cups/glasses per day. 9 litres would just see you urinating a lot.

https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/eat-wel...nks-nutrition/
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Hi!

I had a similar issue when I was in halls. It is usually just the water in the area. For me, the water was a lot harder where my university is situated. I just brought a water filter from Wilkos, for about £5. This helped a lot and is a lot cheaper than buying water all the time. Especially as you suppose to drink roughly 2 litres a day.

Best wishes
Chloe - Official Student Rep
University of Liverpool Student Rep
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Hi there,

If you do want to save some money (and plastic!) when buying bottled water, I'd try and find a good water filter online - as they can last a while! I have one, and they're really good and easy to store in a University fridge that's short on space.

Might just be something to think about

Ana
University of Liverpool Rep
Maxxx17
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Their water is really terrible... That's why I mostly take water with me. I take zero water because I love it. And at home I prefer to drink water from a pitcher with a filter. So as not to spoil my body with different chemicals. And not everyone has the budget to buy a reverse osmosis system for the whole house. So instead they often resort to buying bottled water for drinking, brushing their teeth, etc. Over the years, this can lead to quite a bit of expense. One alternative is to find the best water filter pitcher for your needs.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever considered or are you currently considering an apprenticeship?

Yes, I am actively considering an apprenticeship (66)
12.24%
I am actively considering an alternative to uni that isn't an apprenticeship (9)
1.67%
I have considered an apprenticeship but it's not for me (141)
26.16%
I am considering a degree apprenticeship (44)
8.16%
I haven't considered an apprenticeship (261)
48.42%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (18)
3.34%

Watched Threads