The Student Room Group

EPQ Medicine - Topic

I’ve decided to do take an EPQ (year 12) but still not sure what topic to complete it on. By my own research, I’ve read that the majority advise to complete an epq based on my career; medicine. However i’ve also been advised from some to research more into humanitarian topics, such as the current state of Afghanistan, and show interest into topics outside the medical field.
I’m quite lost on what aspect to complete it on.
Any ideas?? :smile:
Reply 1
You can do it on anything you want - I've seen ones on the legality of the Suez crisis, primary Science teaching, propaganda in North Korea, gender stereotyping in breakdancing, prison overcrowding, the best children's playground and whether weeing on compost heaps makes the compost better. However, if you're intending on applying to medicine it makes sense to do one that gives you something interesting to talk about at interview so I'd avoid anything really obvious (euthanasia, organ donation opt out etc). Also avoid anything really current as you will struggle to find the range of suitable sources you need to score top marks.
(edited 2 years ago)
I agree with the above advice - to be useful for your PS and Interview, keep it focused on Medicine / medical issues.

Useful website - NHS in The News - current topical issues - https://www.england.nhs.uk/news/
Its understandably focused on covid/vaccinations at the moment, but the piece about a new cancer drug could be a good topic - ie. the high cost of new drugs per patient - ethically justified? Just go back on the pages until you find something that interests you.
Reply 3
To add to what I said earlier, it can be good to start off with a provisional title and then refine it based on your literature research, so don't be too hung up on getting the perfect title/question. Pick the general area of interest, start with a title/question and then alter it if the lit review makes you think this would be a good idea. (e.g. You may realise the scope of your topic is enormous and so focus on one particular area, or you may realise there is a widely accepted answer to your topic and so focus on an area of uncertainty within that) This can actually get you more marks than not reviewing your question.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending