The Student Room Group

Struggling in MSc Finance

Hi guys, I just wished to share my story if anyone has experienced similar predicament before.
I started my MSc Finance degree in another European country (I'm originally from Bulgaria but did my BSc in the UK - Management). I'm struggling immensely, hardly understand anything. I begin to feel fooled I ever enrolled for this degree as I miss some fundamental Maths skills. Initially I'm genuinely interested in finance but primarily in the outputs of analysis, or writing analysis itself, or using Excel functions in Excel/R for financial modelling, but I really miss the Maths behind it - all the equations, limits, differentiation, and integration. And sadly these fundamentals constitute 90% of everything I need to study so basically I feel I read in a some made up language.
My bachelor's degree in Management was very descriptive rather than mathematical. Even the few finance module I had were descriptive - telling us what a central bank is, how monetary policy is set, what futures and options are descriptively...but hardly any maths. Assessments were predominantly examinations based on essays, and I quite savour writing so I worked hard but it always seemed achievable. And it was one of the best UK unis compounded by the fact I was coming from a foreign country at the age of 18.
Yet now it hardly seems any feasible. One of the triggers behind my decision to study MSc was the extremely mundane job I had where I derived nothing. Salary was above average for my home country, and I was okay with it, but I didn't derive any new knowledge - most of the time I was forced just to type numbers. However, I'm losing motivation for my current degree as I'm reading chapters from the textbook, every day hoping that today it will be different and that I will understand something - and every day I'm disillusioned and even more lost. To be honest, one or two weeks prior to the semester start I tried to do some preliminary reading and videos, and made some notes worth of 3/4 of an 80-page notebook, yet this hardly helps me in my learning. And I hardly have any more time for preliminary reading, as because of covering these preliminaries, I have to catch up with the actual new learning.
I begin feeling this is a story with a predetermined end. My first exams are in a month and I'm totally incapacitated to pass them. I'm studying every day, not that I have any friend in this new country to distract myself with. I feel like it won't be sustainable to increase my studying even further as I may suffer from burnout. And more study hasn't induced greater understanding so far, at least for this Finance degree. Perhaps I shouldn't have selected a Finance master's, I was quite flabbergasted I was accepted anywhere due to the meagre portion of quantitative subjects I had during my bachelor's degree. Meanwhile, I didn't feel like embarking on another tedious Management master's degree, which would have been so generic I wouldn't have learn anything. In other words, my desire to learn clashes with my current ineptitude to learn, a seeming incapacity in this specific field I can't seem to overcome. I'm starting to think whether I should drop out even before the October exams as living in this new country is a lot more expensive than my home country, and if the end is predetermined, probably it will be wiser to save some of the savings I still have (as mainly I finance myself living in this foreign country with a substantially higher living standard than my home country)
Has anyone of you experienced such a troubling experience?
Reply 1
My suggestion is that you don't give up. If you do, it will come to haunt you in the future that you had a chance but opted out.
I'm sure that you are not the only one struggling with the course. Hold on to it and see the outcomes
Interact more with your teachers to boost your confidence in the course.
I hope you get better.
Original post by Minty001
My suggestion is that you don't give up. If you do, it will come to haunt you in the future that you had a chance but opted out.
I'm sure that you are not the only one struggling with the course. Hold on to it and see the outcomes
Interact more with your teachers to boost your confidence in the course.
I hope you get better.

Thank for your piece of advice! Yeah, I think this is a logical way to proceed given that my tuition fees are basically zero as a EU student and the programme is until June 2022, so rather shorter than other master's degree. I strongly suspect that I'll be forced to quit next month after the exams but there's hardly anything else to do but keep trying glean some understanding...thank God there're no fixed contracts as accommodation in the UK which I used to prepay for a whole year so bailing out voluntarily or involuntarily due to failure will not cause such massive financial losses at least.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending