The Student Room Group

Getting on with flat mates / Social anxiety / halls

I could genuinely talk about this for hours, but so far I’ve made some really good friends, but we mostly just go clubbing together / get food but the downside is they don’t stay in my accom.

I fell back a lot during my first few days moving into my flat, and really couldn’t bring myself to interact with everyone even though I really wanted to. They’ve all practically bonded and each night that I stay in I just feel extremely left out.

The thought of walking into the kitchen while they’re all there, gives my huge panic attacks. I’m worrying about if it’ll go silent once I walk in, or if they don’t actually want me there. I was hoping to be close with my flatmates , and do have a ‘group’ as such.

I’ve made friends but not a group, and I feel like without a group it’s pointless. Everyone in my halls accommodation is having flat parties and pres every day, and as much as I want to go I can’t, as no one in my flat ‘goes out’ / drinks. So I don’t plan on going alone to them.

If I haven’t bonded with my flatmates & that’s just how it’ll be, will my year be horrible? I’m just thinking of Christmas and the holidays where everyone should all be together, or doing activities as such as flatmates. I don’t want to be left out of all of it, or ruining my experience by hiding in my room.

I really need advice on what to do. I was thinking of moving flats but being realistic I’m not sure how it would change anything. My flat is an all girls flat which wasn’t ideal for me as I wanted a mix or girls & boys, in order for it to not just be in diverse and boring as such.

Should I message my flatmates? Or should I just realise the situation I’m in? Does it get better?

Thanks 💗
Maybe they don’t want to go clubbing but would be up for something else as a group. Also depending on what they’re studying they could be very busy and have a lot of late/early lectures and not have time to do all of these things. I’m in a hall full of partiers and I’m the complete opposite and feel the same way about going into the kitchen. If you’re just accommodating then maybe they’ll open up. I don’t know you, but I do know that people who do go clubbing and party can br intimidating to be around for shyer people, especially if you bring your loud clubbing friends over a lot. Again this bit may not apply to you specifically.
Original post by Anonymous
I could genuinely talk about this for hours, but so far I’ve made some really good friends, but we mostly just go clubbing together / get food but the downside is they don’t stay in my accom.

I fell back a lot during my first few days moving into my flat, and really couldn’t bring myself to interact with everyone even though I really wanted to. They’ve all practically bonded and each night that I stay in I just feel extremely left out.

The thought of walking into the kitchen while they’re all there, gives my huge panic attacks. I’m worrying about if it’ll go silent once I walk in, or if they don’t actually want me there. I was hoping to be close with my flatmates , and do have a ‘group’ as such.

I’ve made friends but not a group, and I feel like without a group it’s pointless. Everyone in my halls accommodation is having flat parties and pres every day, and as much as I want to go I can’t, as no one in my flat ‘goes out’ / drinks. So I don’t plan on going alone to them.

If I haven’t bonded with my flatmates & that’s just how it’ll be, will my year be horrible? I’m just thinking of Christmas and the holidays where everyone should all be together, or doing activities as such as flatmates. I don’t want to be left out of all of it, or ruining my experience by hiding in my room.

I really need advice on what to do. I was thinking of moving flats but being realistic I’m not sure how it would change anything. My flat is an all girls flat which wasn’t ideal for me as I wanted a mix or girls & boys, in order for it to not just be in diverse and boring as such.

Should I message my flatmates? Or should I just realise the situation I’m in? Does it get better?

Thanks 💗

Hi! I can't really give you any advice on this because I'm in the exact same situation as you, but I just wanted to reply so that I could reassure you that you aren't alone in how you're feeling :smile: I moved into halls a few days ago, and I'm already not enjoying it. Like you I've been put in a flat with all girls when I wanted a mix of boys and girls - I'm really quiet and shy and I don't drink or enjoy going to clubs and stuff, whereas my flatmates are all very loud and talkative ad are going out almost every night. We have nothing in common and nobody ever seems to want to make conversation with me. I dread going into the kitchen out of fear that they'll be someone in there or someone will walk in while I'm in there, mainly because I have bad social anxiety and even the thought of small talk makes me feel super nervous. I also hate the fact that everyone stares at you whenever you walk in the room... :/ I know that it's unhealthy to do this but I make specific efforts to try and avoid them, whether that be having meals way later than everyone else, washing up at the end of the day when everyone has gone to bed, or buying bottles of water to keep in my room so that I don't have to go to the kitchen to get some. All I can say is, if you don't want to talk to your flatmates then you don't have to. Just do whatever you feel comfortable with - nobody can force you to do things that make you feel panicked, and if you're happier just chilling in your room (like me, I just sit and watch TV or play video games by myself because I much prefer that) then that's perfectly fine. There's always pressure to make friends on the first week and talk to flatmates at every opportunity but that's just not what some people want to do. Just look forward to and enjoy spending time with your other friends, I'm going to start attending societies and sports clubs next week and I'm hoping that I'll make my own friends who have the same interests as me at their events. Hope that makes you feel a little bit better!

Thanks 💗

Im the same ive just started and everyone in my flat gets along very nicely and I'm left on my own. i feel so left out and when I try to make an effort I don't feel like they want me there so I'm just stuck in my room.
Reply 4
Original post by anonymous5912
Im the same ive just started and everyone in my flat gets along very nicely and I'm left on my own. i feel so left out and when I try to make an effort I don't feel like they want me there so I'm just stuck in my room.

It’s really awful! I was really close to switching flats in the past few days but I feel like it would be ten times worse + everyone would most likely have gotten on by now. So it’s not really ideal.

I just don’t know what to do as, your Uni accommodation and flatmates really shapes the experience so much x
It’s really awful! I was really close to switching flats in the past few days but I feel like it would be ten times worse + everyone would most likely have gotten on by now. So it’s not really ideal.

I just don’t know what to do as, your Uni accommodation and flatmates really shapes the experience so much x

honestly and i feel like because i don't get along with them and have no one else my university experience is turning out to be horrible and depressing. i cant even switch flats

Quick Reply

Latest