lol last min S2 help please! Watch

This discussion is closed.
posh_git
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
hey plz could some one list like the steps to do a hypothesis test for discrete things like Binomial and Poisson?

1) set up the H0 and H1 (i get tht lol!)

thanks in advance!!!

matthew
davidreesjones
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
1) Set up the hypotheses - perhaps i am testing whether the random variable X which has a poisson distribution has a mean of lambda = 8 (Ho) or rather that it is greater (H1) - they normally give a situation - see whether sales have increased or something like that (let X be the number of items sold in an hour, then X~Po(lambda). Ho: lambda equals 8, H1: lambda greater than 8

2) You are given a piece of information - e.g. that 12 items have been sold in an hour. (take care here they may try to trick you - e.g. 12 sold in thirty minutes)

3)Then find the probability that evidence as "bad or worse" as this would be collected by chance. In this case find p(X>=12|lambda = 8) = 1 - .8881 (from tables) = 0.1119.

4) see if the result is "significant" - it is significant iff the probability that it (ie getting 12 sold in an hour) is less than the desigated significance level (normally 5%). in this case clearly it isn't

5) theyll always give a mark for interpreting - therefore there is insufficient evidence to suggest that sales have increased.
posh_git
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
cheers! and i would do the same for binomial? i get every other part of S2 except 4 these silly things!!! aaaaaaaaaaaargggh lol
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (848)
80.69%
Leave (203)
19.31%

Watched Threads