The Student Room Group

Frustrated now I'm actually in uni.

So I am a single parent to a 9-year-old and I'm in my mid-30s, I had gotten on to the OpenPlus degree with 2 years online and 2 years at the university itself, but thought because of my situation (lack of social interactions/isolation) it would be nice to actually meet people. I asked at the university about provisions for mature students and parents, was told a lot of things. The first year (the foundation year) was nearly all online so that was fine, but now I'm in my proper first year I just can't see it working.

I need to travel to the university, I live in a town nearby. I have no immediate childcare (her mum isn't around and my parents both work a lot of hours) so I knew it was going to be very hard work, but I had prepared some childcare.

The timetables have only just been sorted - 2 days before the "official" start date, and I am in for 5 days of the week with all but one day with 9/10am starts. I say sorted - something has been added on for next week within the past day.

That childcare I had sorted is now all full because the schools have started weeks ago and I couldn't confirm the days or times I would need it.

I don't know what I was expecting really, I knew it would be difficult some days but not to the point where every day is going to be an absolute rush to get there on time. Maybe I'm just not in the right position to go to university? Just letting my frustrations out - I have emailed around and gotten nowhere so far.
This is my exact predicament right now and it's given me sleepless night knowing that I can't resume uni today or ever due to start times of 9/10am. I've got school run to do and uni is almost an hour away, so I can never ever make that time. Just gutted and wished timetable was flexible with some online learning. So yeah, you're not alone as I'm a single mum of 2.
Reply 2
You could possibly ask for interruption of studies. Effectively take a gap year, sort your childcare arrangements, build up your finances and brush up on your first year then go into second year next year but make sure you have everything sorted then.
Reply 3
Whilst I don't have kids, I feel your pain regarding organising things. I keep putting uni off more and more because I am not in financially stable to live on maintenance alone (debts, personal issues etc.) but not knowing my study session times until days before is just not possible in my line of work - in order for me to even go part time it is just not an option with how our staffing works on such short notice. In theory my only option would be to resign a month or however long my notice is, get my timetable and see if we could make it work and rehire me but it may or may not be feasible and then I am without a job with barely any savings and commitments. It's so frustrating to be a mature student

I really hope you get things sorted! Keep us updated

Quick Reply