berksss
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
So right now I'm about to start Comp Sci at Kent Uni. I moved out from London to here and in the one week I've been here I've already felt like I made a mistake. I want to move back to London but I'm not sure if I'm too late to switch what university I go to. Another option I've considered is completing Year One at Kent and then transferring to a London university and starting at 2nd Year. I would appreciate any advice on this topic about these options or any other that I have missed. Thanks.
Anonymous #1
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by berksss)
So right now I'm about to start Comp Sci at Kent Uni. I moved out from London to here and in the one week I've been here I've already felt like I made a mistake. I want to move back to London but I'm not sure if I'm too late to switch what university I go to. Another option I've considered is completing Year One at Kent and then transferring to a London university and starting at 2nd Year. I would appreciate any advice on this topic about these options or any other that I have missed. Thanks.
Transferring is really hard. Many unis especially London ones will refuse even considering it. If you can transfer it takes a while to get all of the modules sorted and credits transferred, and then you’ll be the new person to the uni who doesn’t know where they are/need to be and everyone will already have friendships and know the uni and study areas. If you really don’t want to stay I suggest dropping out, take a gap year and work or something, and reapply via UCAS. I did it when I realised I was at the wrong uni (I actually moved out of London) and am so much happier for it.
berksss
Rep:
?
(Original post by Anonymous)
Transferring is really hard. Many unis especially London ones will refuse even considering it. If you can transfer it takes a while to get all of the modules sorted and credits transferred, and then you’ll be the new person to the uni who doesn’t know where they are/need to be and everyone will already have friendships and know the uni and study areas. If you really don’t want to stay I suggest dropping out, take a gap year and work or something, and reapply via UCAS. I did it when I realised I was at the wrong uni (I actually moved out of London) and am so much happier for it.
I've already taken a gap year, so I can't really do that without raising issues with my family. In my case I'd rather just do the course at Kent than take a gap year. I transferred year via a foundation year so I might try the same approach as that.
Anonymous #1
Report 2 weeks ago
I've already taken a gap year, so I can't really do that without raising issues with my family. In my case I'd rather just do the course at Kent than take a gap year. I transferred year via a foundation year so I might try the same approach as that.
So you took a gap year, did a foundation year and transferred to another uni, now you want to transfer to another uni? No uni will accept a double transfer as it just seems indecisive and they’ll wonder your commitment. You generally need a good reason to transfer uni after first year anyways. Sticking 3 years or leaving really are your 2 feasible options.
berksss
Rep:
?
(Original post by Anonymous)
So you took a gap year, did a foundation year and transferred to another uni, now you want to transfer to another uni? No uni will accept a double transfer as it just seems indecisive and they’ll wonder your commitment. You generally need a good reason to transfer uni after first year anyways. Sticking 3 years or leaving really are your 2 feasible options.
I’ll probably end up sticking for the 3 years but I’ll apply through UCAS just in case a transfer works out, the application is only £20.
Admit-One
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Have a read of the Transfer FAQ. You don’t need to risk the UCAS application fee, you’ve got a year to approach other uni’s and find out their stance on transfers. You should be prepared to get a few no’s.

I would note that it is very early to be deciding that you’ve made a mistake in your choice of Uni. Your lessons haven’t even started and you’ve no sense of routine. Push through to December whilst doing your research, then you can apply by mid-Jan if needs be.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling now you've started university?

I'm loving it! (51)
13.93%
I'm enjoying it but I'm still settling in (94)
25.68%
I'm a bit unsure (63)
17.21%
I'm finding things difficult (127)
34.7%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (31)
8.47%

Watched Threads