Can women stay friends with guys who fancy them?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
If you’re a woman, Can you stay close friends with a guy who fancies you but you don’t reciprocate? Or does it affect the friendship in the long term?
Anonymous #2
Report 2 weeks ago
Ive found that those friendships can work out but dont tend to last very long. Yet again if you are really close friends maybe you can make it work?
black tea
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
It's very awkward. I usually end up distancing myself if I know or suspect a male friend like me.
3rdTimeTheCharm
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Women hold the power in that dynamic, because the guy wants one thing, but the girl doesnt.
If the girl is single, then sure why not.

But if shes in a relationship, you as the boyfriend should be very careful and probably set boundaries for her not to talk to any ''guy friends'' I know some people will scream ''thats unfair'' bla bla bla, but you have to understand those ''guy friends'' intention is to get in her panties...
Are you willing to risk that even if your girl says that you should trust her regardless?

Hard to judge, since Ive seen girls sleep with their ''guy friends'' as revenge, or insert some other random reasoning.
Most girls that I simped over, (Wanted to be in relationship/sex with them) turned out that they would use me for attention/validation as is if they called/text me, I would be respond fast. I was basically that ''beta simp'' if you want to call it that.
Its not health in the long run, since you get atttached the longer it goes, and get upset when shes banging another dude and your on the sidelines is never a good position to be in... It shows that you are needy. Which girls hate, so thats why she considers you her friend to begin with

Since im a lot more aware of gender freind/relationship dymanic, I dont waste time on girls anymore that dont show the same interest in me back.
Meaning I cannot just be ''friends'' with a girl that I have a thing for. Its cap, I also dont let my gf have any male friends apart from one, which I trust a lot and we both have respect for each other, thats it!

I probably have less then 5 genuine female platonic friends in my life, simply because theres no interest for anything on my side of things to the point I would reject sex even if they demanded me lmao!

''If you’re a woman, Can you stay close friends with a guy who fancies you but you don’t reciprocate?''

Sure, if you realise that he wants something more and his intentions behind. But its unfair for the guy wether he realises it or not. Its no secret women use guys that pedal stool them at their advantage... Some even call it manipulation.
As stated before, its a weird dynamic, and others state its awkward, because it can be at times..
Last edited by 3rdTimeTheCharm; 2 weeks ago
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Anonymous)
Ive found that those friendships can work out but dont tend to last very long. Yet again if you are really close friends maybe you can make it work?
What makes it not work?
cherlloydfan1
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
yes I've got guy friends that like me but they've met someone else now so they don't bother with me as much anymore
Anonymous #1
(Original post by cherlloydfan1)
yes I've got guy friends that like me but they've met someone else now so they don't bother with me as much anymore
Did you find it hard to be close friends with guys who liked you?
miser
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I think it depends on the specifics.

A lot of the time these friendships are simply a matter of having mutual friends. You hang out in the same circles so you're friends. But the friendship wouldn't survive one person moving away. In that case, there's not much staying power.

Sometimes the friendship can be parasitic. The guy might want attention from the girl and the girl might want attention from the guy. If it runs both ways, then it's stable, but if it's one-sided, then it's not stable.

Occasionally you might have a legitimate friendship, in the same way as a guy might be friends with his guy friends, and on top of that there's a sexual attraction in one direction. In that case, I think the friendship will survive easily (if the person isn't being desperate). In my experience this is kind of rare though - usually the girl will be a tom boy or something.
Anonymous #1
If a guy is told by a female friend that sh doesn’t want to date him, is it a bad idea for the guy to continue being friends with her and seeing her 1 on 1 a lot?
CookieChick
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
If a guy is told by a female friend that sh doesn’t want to date him, is it a bad idea for the guy to continue being friends with her and seeing her 1 on 1 a lot?
This is a bad idea. It will be hard for the guy to not like her if he sees her that often.
Limit interaction for a while or go out in groups.
Anonymous #2
Report 2 weeks ago
What makes it not work?
Bear in mind in my experiences these werent close friends, just friends. But usually the guy finds another girl and i rarely hear from them anymore or we stopped talking completely
brjf
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Can relate to this situation very much, I’m really close friends with a girl and I started to develop feelings, really deep feelings and I told her how I felt and she obviously didn’t feel the same back. We moved on and thankfully it didn’t change our relationship as friends but I know it’s not the same for everyone.
Anonymous #1
Do you think women enjoy being friends with nice guys who fancy them? Since he probably treats her well.
HeavLeighGill
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I had something like this once. My best friend in high school was a guy and he was completely in love with me. I tried dating him but it just didn’t work and we became best friends, but he wound up meeting a girl and wasn’t allowed to talk to me anymore because she knew he had liked me.

You guys could probably stay friends for a while, but chances are that things may dissolve when one of you gets into a relationship if either of your significant others knows that feelings were there.
Omannnae
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
No cos it won't be much of a friendship. He'll only be faking being friends with you in the hopes that he'll get to pound you some day.
cherlloydfan1
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I liked beinm

Did you find it hard to be close friends with guys who liked you?
no cos they were nice to me but it suxks that now that they've met someone else they don't bother with me as much
hey hey yall
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
i mean theres 3 guys in my friend group that like me
its a bit awkward but ive made it known i dont like them and that i still like someone else. they got the hint eventually and we hang out every break and lunch
Theloniouss
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Do you think women enjoy being friends with nice guys who fancy them? Since he probably treats her well.
Yes. A lot of women who lament about being unable to find guy friends who aren't attracted to them actually enjoy the attention they get from these "friends".
Max1989
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Depends if they can move on or not, otherwise it does just develop into something that's annoying/awkward for the girl and unhealthy for the guy. (speaking from experience.) You either can move on and keep the friendship or break the friendship for little time until you move on, there's no point holding onto hope for something that will never happen, as you are simply wasting your time when you could be out meeting someone who does like you romantically.
hey hey yall
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Theloniouss)
Yes. A lot of women who lament about being unable to find guy friends who aren't attracted to them actually enjoy the attention they get from these "friends".
i dont hahaha i feel a bit uncomfortable sometimes tbh :/
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling now you've started university?

I'm loving it! (51)
13.9%
I'm enjoying it but I'm still settling in (94)
25.61%
I'm a bit unsure (63)
17.17%
I'm finding things difficult (127)
34.6%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (32)
8.72%

Watched Threads