Is it normal for a computer science course to have atleast 7 lectures/lessons a week?

Watch
Firefistaace
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hey all, so the university im starting at soon (Greenwhich) is giving me 7 lessons and lectures a week for my undergraduate computer science course and i heard from other people that other unis do atleast 2 or 3 of both a week. If anyone does computer science please let me know how many you do and if 7 is more than usual, thanks.
Last edited by Firefistaace; 3 weeks ago
Googley_eyes
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Firefistaace)
Hey all, so the university im starting at soon (Greenwhich) is giving me 7 courses and lectures a week for my undergraduate computer science course and i heard from other people that other unis do atleast 2 or 3 of both a week. If anyone does computer science please let me know how many you do and if 7 is more than usual, thanks.
If you mean all of your contact hours, then yes this is normal. If you mean for just one module in your course, then it’s very unusual.
Firefistaace
Rep:
?
(Original post by Googley_eyes)
If you mean all of your contact hours, then yes this is normal. If you mean for just one module in your course, then it’s very unusual.
I mean the name for each of my lessons in 1 week are different, are they considered individual modules?
Googley_eyes
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I mean the name for each of my lessons in 1 week are different, are they considered individual modules?
On your course page on the uni website it will say all modules for every term. It also depends how many credits each module is. Are there numbers after, as a letter and them numbers is indicative of a module name
Fresher18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
When I did Computer Science at Reading my first year I think I had 14 contact hours a week which was around 9/10 lectures and labs for various modules so yes 7 is normal, I had 6 hours from one module alone between the lab and lecture!
InArduisFouette
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
The number of modules you study each semester/ academic year also depends on their 'weight'

the UK as tended to coalesce around each year of study consisting of 120 'credits' , however different HEis might have 10 or 20 credit modules as the default and some modules may be even larger ...

so at one HEI you might do 3 * 20 credit courses in a semester, the same conent might be split over 6 * 10 credit courses at a differnet HEI
Firefistaace
Rep:
?
(Original post by Googley_eyes)
On your course page on the uni website it will say all modules for every term. It also depends how many credits each module is. Are there numbers after, as a letter and them numbers is indicative of a module name
Ahh i see where youre coming from, i checked and saw that im doong 3 modules a week, that explains why i have so many lectures and labs in a week. This is the same for every comp sci course in every uni right?
Firefistaace
Rep:
?
(Original post by Fresher18)
When I did Computer Science at Reading my first year I think I had 14 contact hours a week which was around 9/10 lectures and labs for various modules so yes 7 is normal, I had 6 hours from one module alone between the lab and lecture!
That makes me feel much better actually. I was worried some people said that the dudes over at Queen mary were only having 2 or 3 lessons so i got pretty jealous
Firefistaace
Rep:
?
(Original post by InArduisFouette)
The number of modules you study each semester/ academic year also depends on their 'weight'

the UK as tended to coalesce around each year of study consisting of 120 'credits' , however different HEis might have 10 or 20 credit modules as the default and some modules may be even larger ...

so at one HEI you might do 3 * 20 credit courses in a semester, the same conent might be split over 6 * 10 credit courses at a differnet HEI
Ah so im getting 3 modules in a year. What do you mean by HEI and semesters? Im new to uni life so dont really understand these terms at all
CurryCurry2468
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hey all, so the university im starting at soon (Greenwhich) is giving me 7 lessons and lectures a week for my undergraduate computer science course and i heard from other people that other unis do atleast 2 or 3 of both a week. If anyone does computer science please let me know how many you do and if 7 is more than usual, thanks.
Hi, I am doing computer science and am starting this October (I am going Loughborough university).
For my course in terms of 'lessons' as such, we have different types

Lectures:
Each week I have 6 hours of lectures and these alternate between in person and online via Microsoft Teams

Workshop: Each week I have 2 hours of workshops and on one day its in person then the next day its online via Microsoft Teams

Practical: Each week I have 2 hours of practical each week and these alternate between in person and delivered remotely via Microsoft Teams

Laboratory: These commence from my 3rd week onwards, 2 hours per week and these alternate between in person and delivered remotely via Microsoft Teams

Tutorial: These commence from my 2nd week onwards, 2 hours per week and are either in person or online via MS Teams

Drop in Sessions: Once a fortnight on a Monday, 2 hours and alternate between in person and online

So on my first week, my contact hours are 10 but from 2nd week onwards its 14
Googley_eyes
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Ahh i see where youre coming from, i checked and saw that im doong 3 modules a week, that explains why i have so many lectures and labs in a week. This is the same for every comp sci course in every uni right?
Yes most unis have 4 modules a week, with 2 lectures per module, and extra stuff, though that does vary.
InArduisFouette
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Ah so im getting 3 modules in a year. What do you mean by HEI and semesters? Im new to uni life so dont really understand these terms at all
generally HEI (higher education Institutions - Universities , Conservatoires, University Colleges / FE colleges with a HE dept (often partnered with a uni) split their academic year into two halves for timetabling and assessment purposes - these are semesters and overlap with 'terms'
jonathanemptage
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I had 15-16 contact hours a week at Solent doing electronics in my first year.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (233)
57.25%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (52)
12.78%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (45)
11.06%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (36)
8.85%
I haven't started researching yet (23)
5.65%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (18)
4.42%

Watched Threads