Do I need any lower entry (backup) options?

Watch
MatthewABall
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Hey guys,

I'm just finishing up my UCAS application now. I already finished my A levels in 2020, getting A*A*AB. Since then I've been working in a relevant area.

I'm applying to Cambridge (A*A*A requirement) and looking at several options with A*AA requirements. My question is: should I put any options with lower entry standards than that, to be absolutely certain I get a place somewhere? Seeing as I already have my grades, I feel there isn't as much uncertainty for non-Oxbridge choices, but I don't want to be reckless.

Thanks
rr0
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Which subject and which other unis are you considering?
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by MatthewABall)
Hey guys,

I'm just finishing up my UCAS application now. I already finished my A levels in 2020, getting A*A*AB. Since then I've been working in a relevant area.

I'm applying to Cambridge (A*A*A requirement) and looking at several options with A*AA requirements. My question is: should I put any options with lower entry standards than that, to be absolutely certain I get a place somewhere? Seeing as I already have my grades, I feel there isn't as much uncertainty for non-Oxbridge choices, but I don't want to be reckless.

Thanks
That depends on your appetite for risk and your attitude towards using clearing as a backup.

Maybe apply to 4 choices early and decide how to use your 5th choice in January when you might have had some offers.
SeikoShinohara
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I would recommend applying for a place with a lower entry requirement, even if it is only a single grade lower. I have no doubt that you're an excellent candidate, but it is advised that your insurance choice has lower grade requirements.
Last edited by SeikoShinohara; 2 weeks ago
RogerOxon
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hey guys,

Thanks
That's really going to depend on the course and university. As you know, grades can merely be one requirement, that many applicants may exceed. You need at least one choice where that isn't the case. I'd aim a little lower with at least one choice - it will be less stressful for you, and you'll still have several attempts at those with higher entry requirements.
McGinger
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Advice about this here - Hpw to Avoid 5 Rejections - https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/uni...ity-rejections
ageshallnot
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Go with the advice in post #3.
cleveranimal56
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by ageshallnot)
Go with the advice in post #3.
Gee, thanks for the contribution
swanseajack1
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hey guys,

Thanks
A lot depends on how you would feel if got 5 rejections. It is unlikely but still possible. If you are the type who could put it aside and would happily use ucas extra for an insurance there wouldnt be a problem. If you are someone who would prefer to make sure of an offer then add in an insurance. As already said you could apply to 4 then decide,
MatthewABall
Rep:
?
(Original post by rr0)
Which subject and which other unis are you considering?
I'm applying for engineering. At the moment I have Cambridge, Imperial, Bristol, Bath and UCL (all for some variant of general engineering or design engineering). UCL is probably the weakest for my subject, but it's still A*AA.
MatthewABall
Rep:
?
(Original post by PQ)
That depends on your appetite for risk and your attitude towards using clearing as a backup.

Maybe apply to 4 choices early and decide how to use your 5th choice in January when you might have had some offers.
I think I'd be willing to use clearing as a backup, wouldn't be ideal though. I think using the last choice later on could be a good idea.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling now you've started university?

I'm loving it! (51)
13.93%
I'm enjoying it but I'm still settling in (94)
25.68%
I'm a bit unsure (63)
17.21%
I'm finding things difficult (127)
34.7%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (31)
8.47%

Watched Threads