Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Is University similar to college or completely different?
Moonlight Rain
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
It is different. Uni is more diverse, any age can be in your course no matter if they're 61, international students etc. University is a lot more pricey. University, for most courses, attendance isn't as important. And teachers at uni dont help you unless you tell him, they're not gonna be pushing you and contacting you trying to help you. They won't help unless you ask for it basically.
Lydia Taylor (YSJU Student Ambassador)
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hello,

University is different because of the independence and routine that you create for yourself. You are not just changing an academic level but it is a whole lifestyle change.

A-Levels and BTECS definitely help you to adjust to university level. You start to develop your own writing style and look at referencing. You will find your independence, you cannot submit drafts for marking and you have to manage all your own deadlines. Independent study also increases.

However, this independence is great because it is freedom! You can choose your own activities, times and routine. It is great to start cooking for yourself and handling your own budget and money.

You will also meet a lot of different people from various walks of life. I have really broadened my circles from my college in a small town.

Lydia
University of Liverpool Student Rep
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi there,

I hope you're well

University is very different to when I went to college, but I guess it all depends on where you went! The biggest difference for me is the independence - at college, the teachers gave you work to do and would chase you up on things if incomplete. The thing with University is that lecturers don't do that, so it's up to you to make sure you're on track and on top of everything A planner becomes your best friend.

But, I would say it's made me into a much more able / stronger person coming to University as I feel very independent, and don't necessarily feel the need to always rely on other people (but everyone's University experience can be different!).

Ana
University of Liverpool Rep
University of Bradford
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hello, I hope you're well!

I thought you might find this student blog post useful:
The transition from A-Level to University

Becky
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has your education been disrupted this academic year due to the pandemic?

Yes (125)
86.81%
No (19)
13.19%

Watched Threads