Labour Party Conference Thread 2021

Watch
imlikeahermit
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Volunteer Note: This thread has been split off from an original thread discussing issues to do with transphobia in the Labour party, amid their annual conference. Due to divergent conversations, we now have one thread for discussing the Labour Party conference, and another thread for discussing claims of transphobia. This is to help the discussion flow better for everyone. Thanks

Original OP:

Party conference in disarray. All sparked by trans discussion about the MP Rosie Duffield being too afraid to attend the conference over comments she’s made.

Starmer however, hasn’t held that view, he couldn’t answer the question, and this morning, neither could Rachel Reeves who was an absolute embarrassment to the party on an interview. Laughable really.

First it’s the working class Labour have alienated, now it’s women. It’s just the gift that keeps on giving. When you have a government as incompetent as this one and you’re still focusing on petty little things like this; it’s just laughable.
Last edited by 04MR17; 2 weeks ago
DSilva
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
The Labour Party are an absolute joke.

Starmer has succeeded in turning the Labour Party into a right wing neoliberal bucket of nothingness. Against a truly awful government they haven't landed a punch.

No chance I will be voting for them again.
SHallowvale
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
If identity politics is what you care about the most then, sure, it will seem like Labour only care about "petty little things" like this. For the rest of us who care about more import things it's obvious that this isn't the case. I think Labour have struggled / are struggling to put forth a clear set of policies for people to get behind, but I'm happy with what has been presented at the conference thus far.
!Capercaillie
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Except of course the emphasis of the Labour Party conference has not been on identity politics. It is a sideshow.

Yet it gets blown out of all proportion by people who are fixated with identity politics.
imlikeahermit
Rep:
?
(Original post by SHallowvale)
If identity politics is what you care about the most then, sure, it will seem like Labour only care about "petty little things" like this. For the rest of us who care about more import things it's obvious that this isn't the case. I think Labour have struggled / are struggling to put forth a clear set of policies for people to get behind, but I'm happy with what has been presented at the conference thus far.
The fact that you think everything is hunky dory tells me more than anything else that’s it’s been a shambles. So far the headlines have been dominated by this, and by Rayners utterly appalling language, not by policies or what you stand for; that’s been swept under the carpet.

Just out of interest, do you believe that it’s transphobic to say only women have a cervix? Because the Labour Party do.
SHallowvale
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by imlikeahermit)
The fact that you think everything is hunky dory tells me more than anything else that’s it’s been a shambles. So far the headlines have been dominated by this, and by Rayners utterly appalling language, not by policies or what you stand for; that’s been swept under the carpet.

Just out of interest, do you believe that it’s transphobic to say only women have a cervix? Because the Labour Party do.
I don't have an opinion on it, I simply don't care. I'm far more interested in their actual policy, aren't you?
imlikeahermit
Rep:
?
I don't have an opinion on it, I simply don't care. I'm far more interested in their actual policy, aren't you?
I completely agree with Rosie Duffield and anyone else with a bit of sense. Only women have a cervix, it’s as simple as that.

The point is though, you might not care, you might just shove it aside as a non issue, but others won’t, especially women who want their right as a woman protected. So it might not concern you, but in terms of the polls, this doesn’t help Labour at all.

Quite frankly though, I couldn’t give a toss about Labour policy. I’d sooner give a kidney up. But it’s funny to watch their piss poor opposition to a horrendous government. It’s like you don’t want to be electable.
SHallowvale
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Quite frankly though, I couldn’t give a toss about Labour policy. I’d sooner give a kidney up. But it’s funny to watch their piss poor opposition to a horrendous government. It’s like you don’t want to be electable.
So... you don't care about actual policy, then, you just care about identity politics? 🤔 I mean, if that's what you're interested in then fair enough but I'll at least remember than the next time you claim the left don't care about "real issues".
imlikeahermit
Rep:
?
So... you don't care about actual policy, then, you just care about identity politics? 🤔 I mean, if that's what you're interested in then fair enough but I'll at least remember than the next time you claim the left don't care about "real issues".
I don’t care about Labour. I don’t think at this rate their going to be an issue for the next twenty or so years at least. They are so unelectable.

I do however, care about proper issues, such as the rampant crime we’re seeing, or dealing with the issues caused by Brexit. I don’t want my party to centre itself around identity politics, like Labour are doing. I love this argument though that I’m not allowed to comment on Labours barnpot ideas, without being obsessed with them. :rolleyes:
SHallowvale
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I don’t want my party to centre itself around identity politics, like Labour are doing. I love this argument though that I’m not allowed to comment on Labours barnpot ideas, without being obsessed with them. :rolleyes:
You mean like you're doing? As others have pointed out, identity politics is far from the focus of the conferenc, it's just that people like yourself focus on nothing but that.
imlikeahermit
Rep:
?
You mean like you're doing? As others have pointed out, identity politics is far from the focus of the conferenc, it's just that people like yourself focus on nothing but that.
Heaven forbid I reply to some of the stupidity. But no, you just keep downplaying what is making Labour utterly unelectable against possibly the most incompetent government in history.

Only women have cervix’s. That’s not identity politics. That’s not transphobic. That’s fact. But not according to the leader or the shadow chancellor of the Labour Party. :rolleyes:
SHallowvale
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Heaven forbid I reply to some of the stupidity. But no, you just keep downplaying what is making Labour utterly unelectable against possibly the most incompetent government in history.
But it's not centreing itself around identity politics, is it? The issue around transwomen is not the focus of this conference, policy is. Unsurprisingly, critics of Labour and people who self describe as caring only about 'real issues' will only focus on the transwomen row and not the actual policy that Labour is proposing.
the bear
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Ms Rayner seems to think she is Rosa Luxemburg; au contraire... she is an overpaid potty-mouthed Karen.
brjf
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
From Angela Rayner’s comments to Kier’s, the Labour conference is looking like a clown show, with policy being overshadowed.
imlikeahermit
Rep:
?
(Original post by brjf)
From Angela Rayner’s comments to Kier’s, the Labour conference is looking like a clown show, with policy being overshadowed.
It’s the circus that just keeps performing. I’m wondering what rabbit they’re going to pull out the hat next.
imlikeahermit
Rep:
?
But it's not centreing itself around identity politics, is it? The issue around transwomen is not the focus of this conference, policy is. Unsurprisingly, critics of Labour and people who self describe as caring only about 'real issues' will only focus on the transwomen row and not the actual policy that Labour is proposing.
What policies? Haven’t heard of any. Given that you guys just seem intent on pissing anyone who’s got a different opinion to yours off. Like I said, working class folk first, now women. You’re running out of voters.
SHallowvale
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
What policies? Haven’t heard of any. Given that you guys just seem intent on pissing anyone who’s got a different opinion to yours off. Like I said, working class folk first, now women. You’re running out of voters.
Several were announced today. You should have known that if you focused on more than identity politics.
Last edited by SHallowvale; 2 weeks ago
imlikeahermit
Rep:
?
Several were announced today. You should have known that if you focused on more than identity politics.
Sorry but I’m not a Labour supporter, and neither is more than half of this country. If your in fighting shenanigans dominate the headlines then how am I meant to know what policies you announce? :rolleyes:
SHallowvale
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Sorry but I’m not a Labour supporter, and neither is more than half of this country. If your in fighting shenanigans dominate the headlines then how am I meant to know what policies you announce? :rolleyes:
This... is front page news? Granted it's not front page news for right wing papers, but that's hardly the fault of in fighting. Right wing papers don't exactly have an incentive to publish opposition policies on their front page, do they?
imlikeahermit
Rep:
?
This... is front page news? Granted it's not front page news for right wing papers, but that's hardly the fault of in fighting. Right wing papers don't exactly have an incentive to publish opposition policies on their front page, do they?
It is literally all that the media have been talking about. That and Rayners horrendous mouth.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling now you've started university?

I'm loving it! (51)
13.93%
I'm enjoying it but I'm still settling in (94)
25.68%
I'm a bit unsure (63)
17.21%
I'm finding things difficult (127)
34.7%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (31)
8.47%

Watched Threads