Period 3 days late…

Watch
izzyexistent
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
I’m getting kind worried now because I was supposed to start 3 days ago and since then I’ve been getting cramps as if I was on my period but I’ve only been *spotting*. I’ve never had sex in my life and mine are usually really heavy. Is it possible for a period to be suddenly extremely light? Is there something wrong with me?
Tracey_W
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by izzyexistent)
I’m getting kind worried now because I was supposed to start 3 days ago and since then I’ve been getting cramps as if I was on my period but I’ve only been *spotting*. I’ve never had sex in my life and mine are usually really heavy. Is it possible for a period to be suddenly extremely light? Is there something wrong with me?
Hi
Your period will probably come within days as there isn't nothing to worry about as although you may have them same day each month there's nothing to say that they may come on that day or later and yes even earlier than usual.
Some of what I put below may not affect you as not active with sex so don't be alarmed with anything regarding to it.
If nothing happens within the next week or so say then contact your GP for further advise ok as maybe nothing ok. Stress can cause issues to.

I'm a NHS registered midwife ok.

Spotting vs. period
So, how can you tell if you’re spotting versus having your normal period? There are some key differences in the amount of blood you’ll see, the color, and other characteristics.

Spotting
Bleeding very light
Protection pantyliner
Color light red, pink, or brown
Duration can vary
Timing any time of the month
Other symptoms depends on the cause, but may have no other symptoms
Period
Bleeding heavy, medium, and light days
Protection tampon, pad, or cup
Color dark red, bright red, brown, or pink
Duration generally 3 to 7 days
Timing monthly flow every 24 to 38 days
Other symptoms acne
bloating
fatigue
breast tenderness
constipation/diarrhea
mood swings
insomnia
difficulty concentrating
anxiety
reduced sex drive
When to see a doctor
Seeing spotting instead of a period one month may not be a reason for concern. For example, if you’re very stressed one month or perhaps skip your period because you’re nearing menopause, your regular flow may return the following month with no treatment needed.

If your spotting is being caused by medical conditions, such as PCOS, thyroid issues, or STIs, you may experience other symptoms that prompt you to call your doctor. The same goes with possible pregnancy. Pay attention to the other symptoms you’re experiencing along with spotting and make an appointment.

Always call your doctor if your spotting is accompanied by:

pain
fever or chills
foul-smelling discharge
other signs of infection
The bottom line
Experiencing spotting in place of your period may be normal from time to time. There are a variety of situations that can alter the hormonal balance in the body and lead to a disrupted cycle.

Consider tracking your periods on paper or in a tracking app, like Clue. Record things like the number of days you see bleeding or spotting, the color of the blood, and the flow to watch for patterns.

If you experience other symptoms that concern you, don’t hesitate to contact your doctor.

What is spotting?

Spotting is defined as light vaginal bleeding that happens outside of your regular periods.

Typically, spotting involves small amounts of blood. You may notice it on toilet paper after you’ve used the restroom, or in your underwear. It usually only requires a panty liner if you need protection, not a pad or tampon.

Bleeding or spotting any time other than when you have your period is considered abnormal vaginal bleeding, or intermenstrual bleeding.

There are many different causes for spotting between periods. Sometimes, it can be a sign of a serious problem, but it’s often nothing to worry about.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling now you've started university?

I'm loving it! (48)
13.41%
I'm enjoying it but I'm still settling in (93)
25.98%
I'm a bit unsure (63)
17.6%
I'm finding things difficult (124)
34.64%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (30)
8.38%

Watched Threads