The Student Room Group

What checks done on own car when taking to driving test

Anyone can please tell me what they checked before the test went ahead. I have checked the gov website and it's mostly all about tyres or warning lights and making sure car is clean and has extra interior mirror.

Just wondering what other checks do they do please.
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous36617
Anyone can please tell me what they checked before the test went ahead. I have checked the gov website and it's mostly all about tyres or warning lights and making sure car is clean and has extra interior mirror.

As long as it's roadworthy and you've fulfilled the criteria for using your own car then you won't have an issue.
Original post by IWMTom
As long as it's roadworthy and you've fulfilled the criteria for using your own car then you won't have an issue.

It basically because i have two little problems my dad's going to try and sort. There's basically like a little hole in the exhaust which is causing a weird sound sometimes. And the windscreen washer doesn't work. But other than its all good. Just because nothings mentioned about these defects im a bit worried.
Reply 3
It basically because i have two little problems my dad's going to try and sort. There's basically like a little hole in the exhaust which is causing a weird sound sometimes. And the windscreen washer doesn't work. But other than its all good. Just because nothings mentioned about these defects im a bit worried.

Your car isn't roadworthy. Your test may be aborted, especially if one of the "show me" questions is "can you show me how to clean your windscreen".
Reply 4

If you turn up with a filthy windscreen then washing it be the first thing we ask you to do. We can only check tyres and warning lights, anything hanging off or sharp on the front/sides.
If you are asked to wash the windscreen then it would not be the end if the world if you had no washer fluid.
That said, your car is technically unroadworthy and it will fail an MOT without working washers.
Original post by TheDE
If you turn up with a filthy windscreen then washing it be the first thing we ask you to do. We can only check tyres and warning lights, anything hanging off or sharp on the front/sides.
If you are asked to wash the windscreen then it would not be the end if the world if you had no washer fluid.
That said, your car is technically unroadworthy and it will fail an MOT without working washers.

Ok thank you soo much. Also i just wanted to make sure something before my test please. When front bay or reverse bay is ok if you are closer to one line than the other please?
Reply 6
Ok thank you soo much. Also i just wanted to make sure something before my test please. When front bay or reverse bay is ok if you are closer to one line than the other please?

You can be touching the lines if you need to be as long as it's in the bay.

For me they checked for L plates and that was it. I'd certainly recommend fixing the windscreen washer though - that could be a problem if your car gets sprayed or pooped on (on the test or otherwise)

Quick Reply

Latest