The Student Room Group
Power Station Simulator, University of Strathclyde
University of Strathclyde

Does Strathclyde actually accept such lower grades for students from England?

Strathclyde has a very high ranking for economics and asks for AAAA from Scottish students. However for A levels the requirement is ABB-BBB. That is a much lower grade expectation compared to other similar or even lower ranked English universities.

Are there English students here who had ABB or BBB as their predicted grades and received offers from Strathclyde for economics courses? If so, how much time did it take to receive your offer?

This year there were a lot of economics courses in clearing for Strathclyde. It confuses me why such a high ranked university with such comparatively lower entry grades had so many courses in clearing?

What am I missing?
Commenting because interested in answer
Power Station Simulator, University of Strathclyde
University of Strathclyde
Original post by Anonymous
Strathclyde has a very high ranking for economics and asks for AAAA from Scottish students. However for A levels the requirement is ABB-BBB. That is a much lower grade expectation compared to other similar or even lower ranked English universities.

Are there English students here who had ABB or BBB as their predicted grades and received offers from Strathclyde for economics courses? If so, how much time did it take to receive your offer?

This year there were a lot of economics courses in clearing for Strathclyde. It confuses me why such a high ranked university with such comparatively lower entry grades had so many courses in clearing?

What am I missing?

Hellooo Anon! Thanks for your message :smile: Are you an English or a Scottish applicant?

Places for Scottish students are capped by the Scottish Government, and this means that places are really competitive for many of our Business degrees, and the competition for funded places means entry requirements are generally high.

Applicants applying with an RUK fee status (Rest of UK) are applying to places which are not capped. While places are still competitive, we are not restricted on the amount of students we can admit (other than making sure we can fit everyone in to appropriate teaching spaces!). This is also why we have Clearing vacancies for RUK students, too. Scottish students and RUK students fall under different funding criteria, and are therefore not competing for the same places at any university in Scotland. Degrees taught within our Business School have a fantastic reputation and the grade range of ABB-BBB doesn’t mean the quality of the course is poor. If you are applying from the RUK (England, Wales, Northern Ireland generally) then you can expect to receive an offer within those grade ranges. The time you might expect to receive an offer varies, but we aim to have decisions communicated to our applicants as quickly as we possibly can!

Remember that A Levels and Highers are very different qualifications too, and that an A at Scottish Higher is not equivalent to an A at A Level. Another thing to note is that Scottish degrees normally last four years (so longer than three years at an equivalent English university) and if you applied for advanced entry to Year 2 then the entry requirements asked of you would be higher.

Hope this makes sense? Happy to chat to you about any of this or help with your application if you'd like to drop me a PM! :cyber:

- Caitlin :h:
Official University of Strathclyde Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending