The Student Room Group

Medicine

Hi, so I got my predicted grades and i got 4 A's, however I did my UCAT and did it very badly (got 598 band 4, yes I actually got band 4 :/). I want to take a gap year to do the ucat again and improve. This year I will focus on getting my a level grades, leaving 3/4 months after yr 13 exams to worry about my application to medicine. If i don't get accepted in my gap year, then I will study medicine in as international as I already have a relative who studies at a country I want to go to. Does anyone have any advice for me as I am rather nervous about all this.
Reply 1
You're in a fortunate place where your grades are fine (but you still need to concentrate on them to ensure you get the predicted grades!) and they'll stick with you. The UCAT you can work on and resit each year so this score is just a practice run for you now.

A year out is no bad thing. I would recommend medify or some UCAT books, and some decent, timed prep. Put the hours in, used spaced repetition, and timed exams, you'll be fine next year for your resit!

Good luck.
You can take the BMAT to open up more choices for you if you don't want to take a gap year.
Im not too keen on doing the BMAT as im going through a lot mentally, and anyways the deadline was today. I really don't mind taking a gap year as it will be much less stressful than balancing a levels with med skl applications in just a span of a couple months.

Original post by hungrysalamander
You can take the BMAT to open up more choices for you if you don't want to take a gap year.
Original post by siarc
You're in a fortunate place where your grades are fine (but you still need to concentrate on them to ensure you get the predicted grades!) and they'll stick with you. The UCAT you can work on and resit each year so this score is just a practice run for you now.

A year out is no bad thing. I would recommend medify or some UCAT books, and some decent, timed prep. Put the hours in, used spaced repetition, and timed exams, you'll be fine next year for your resit!

Good luck.

I did in fact use medify and scored much lower in the actual thing thank my mocks (i was getting around 645 band 2/3) so i will certainly not use medify again, though I will consider using medentry next time round.

Yes I am very fortunate to get the predicted grades so I'm going to improve my revision techniques in both my a levels and UCAT and hopefully I will ace the UCAT the 2nd time round!

Quick Reply