I need an A but I’m getting much lower, what do I do?

Watch
kennykujo
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
This morning I left my Chemistry lesson in tears because I got a D in the exam. I want to go to Oxford and I need to be predicted at least an A to get in (I’m looking at studying Archaeology and Anthropology). All of the other universities I’m applying to need all Bs, but Oxford is my top choice. I can’t even get a C so there’s no way I can bring my predicted grade up to an A by October. How it works for me is I always do badly in subjects until the very end where I do exceptionally well, and that’s what happened at GCSE. I didn’t even pass GCSE Chemistry until the end of Year 10 when I got a 5, and I ended up getting an 8 in my GCSE. Is there anything I can do to raise my predicted grade up to an A? I’m thinking of asking to take an extra exam but I don’t know if I can.
CaptainDuckie
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
It hurts, I know. I also got D on the first chemistry exam (at AS) I did but managed to get a resit and then I got 98%. Then an A in the actual A level. I think what worked for me is definitely reflecting on why I got that grade.

I definitely had to get some advice on different revision techniques and stuff. I experimented and how I got that 98% on the resit was to just do a bunch of past papers, text book questions to really get a feel for the exam. Then I’d make flashcards on one which I got wrong to review at a later date.

I think you should ask if you can resit to prove yourself because ideally you need a C to be predicted a B. You could definitely get an A though, don’t give up. Try talking to your teacher, it’s way better than not trying at all.
Last edited by CaptainDuckie; 3 weeks ago
ageshallnot
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by kennykujo)
This morning I left my Chemistry lesson in tears because I got a D in the exam. I want to go to Oxford and I need to be predicted at least an A to get in (I’m looking at studying Archaeology and Anthropology). All of the other universities I’m applying to need all Bs, but Oxford is my top choice. I can’t even get a C so there’s no way I can bring my predicted grade up to an A by October. How it works for me is I always do badly in subjects until the very end where I do exceptionally well, and that’s what happened at GCSE. I didn’t even pass GCSE Chemistry until the end of Year 10 when I got a 5, and I ended up getting an 8 in my GCSE. Is there anything I can do to raise my predicted grade up to an A? I’m thinking of asking to take an extra exam but I don’t know if I can.
If you can't get predicted the required grades but think you can achieve them in the actual A-levels then a gap year and reapply would perhaps be the way to go.
lalexm
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I assume you are year 13? If so, hasn’t your school / sixth-form already set your UCAS predictions based on your end of year 12 mocks, which is normally what happens? Ask your teachers and offer to do additional tests if they are willing to accommodate that. Until you ask them, I don’t think you will know what your options are. Most oxbridge applicants will apply with A* predictions, so even getting your prediction up to A will prob not be enough I’m afraid.
Last edited by lalexm; 3 weeks ago
psyelle
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
if you cannot achieve it or be predicted it then a gap year resit is always an option! you can take the resit in oct (like i am) or in the summer. your teacher will give you a prediction for the resit so if you can prove in the time at school you deserve an A they will predict you one. if not, clearing is also an option! best of luck
oppiwall
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
A dose of realism is needed,I don't think you will make Oxbridge
CaptainDuckie
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by oppiwall)
A dose of realism is needed,you arent going anywhere near Oxbridge

Ngl Oxbridge isn’t even all that. Heavily overrated, IMO.
CaptainDuckie
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Phuck off .)
No point getting into tears about it. It's just an exam, just try your best and it is not the end of the world even if you do fail it's far from it

I think it’s more of studying and then not seeing the results at the end of it.

It’s completely okay to feel sad about that, and it does feel like the end of the world. You probably haven’t experienced it
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
What grade were you working at in Year 12? No teacher should predict three grades up from that.
CaptainDuckie
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Yh you just study hard and try your best.

A lot of people think it's the end of the world not getting grades but its just not. I have experienced it, everyone has by the 18 age. I just knew not getting grades is not the end of the world

In the grand scheme of things, it’s not.

At the time though, it is. Everyone has different like expectations for themselves and it’s disheartening not getting the grades you worked for.

It’s silly to have this mentality of “grades are not important” when you know that you’ve tried your best but not rewarded for it. I’d actually completely disagree with you here. Grieving is actually the best way, imo, that one gets their focus back on.
tutor david
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I totally understand the feeling especially when you have tried your best. I would advise that you try groups discussions and YouTube tutorials. These two will go a log way in helping you to understand concepts you might not have understood better in class. All the best
CaptainDuckie
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
You just have to try your but you can't just think my life is over just because of a few grades because it will put too much pressure and its not true. Its upsetting but there's retaking available or there's other routes available if academics aren't for you

Maybe they don’t want to go into another route.

Not everyone gives up. I’d definitely advise OP not to give up too. That’s for the weak.
CaptainDuckie
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I'm saying try their best but if they do fail which hopefully won't happen but if it does happen it's not the end of the world. It's not weak to try other things. I wanted to do car mechanics but I'm looking at back up plans if that doesn't work out like a builder maybe

IT IS.

You have accepted at that point that you are simply not good enough, you have been defeated. If OP wants to try another thing let them but sometimes that’s not always the best advice to give someone. I’d actually say it’s poor advice.

The best advice you can give here is that grieving is expected, you dust yourself and then you try again. Resorting to the worst possible scenario gives opportunity of failure. Real winners never think of failure.
tptp123
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I got CCD at AS (chem, bio & psychology) and at the beginning of y13 i was still getting a D in chem. I found the study method that works for me which I recommend u also do and did tonnes of exam papers. Got an A in the end. As for predicted grades, it’ll be pretty hard to get that changed unless u can convince ur teacher somehow. But as other comments said, a gap year is ur best chance and either resit or apply with (much better) obtained grades. - this is what i’m doing u can 100% get in to Oxford
seulyeon
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
As you asked for my opinion I will give it you straightforwardly so please don't feel offended.
You have two options:
1. Either you work hard, stay motivated and remove all temptations. Understand the concepts and meanings and don't memorise facts you don't understand because you're going to forget them in 3 days. Develop good study habits, take mock tests, listen to the advice from seniors and teachers, try to get more points by trying.
Or...
2. You don't apply for Oxford at all. Oxford students tbh are naturally clever and thick- skinned because of all the critism they face during meetings, interviews etc. And as I have read, you cried because you got a D in an exam. Oxford students do fail/ get bad marks from time to time but not drastically. They're really motivated and work under extremely stressful situations and as the sensitive person you kinda are, I wouldn't really recommended a prestigious place like Oxford.
And plus, what's the big deal about Oxford? There are soo many other universities that can help / provide you, and private schools don't really have facilities to help every student. At private schools if you fail you fail and if you pass you pass. Public/ less popular schools are more providing and you're better off in one of those. You'll get the support you need and you'll study with ease. I wish you great luck.
If you didn't like my response please take it with a grain of salt,
seulyeon x
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (227)
56.75%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (51)
12.75%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (45)
11.25%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (36)
9%
I haven't started researching yet (23)
5.75%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (18)
4.5%

Watched Threads