The Student Room Group

Help with maths homework please

Two uniform small smooth spheres A and B have equal radii and equal masses. The spheres are on a smooth horizontal surface. Sphere A is moving at an acute angle a to the line of centres, when it collides with B, which is stationary.
After the impact A is moving at an acute angle B to the line of centres. The coefficient of restitution between A and B is 1/3.
It is given that A is deflected through an angle y.
c) Determine, in terms of a, an expression for tany
d) Determine the maximum value of y. You do not need to justify that this value is a maximum

PLEASE CAN YOU HELP ME WITH C AND D- thank you so much!!!
Reply 1
Original post by hannahtang262
Two uniform small smooth spheres A and B have equal radii and equal masses. The spheres are on a smooth horizontal surface. Sphere A is moving at an acute angle a to the line of centres, when it collides with B, which is stationary.
After the impact A is moving at an acute angle B to the line of centres. The coefficient of restitution between A and B is 1/3.
d) Determine the maximum value of y. You do not need to justify that this value is a maximum

Can you upload a picture of the full question and if youve done any working (diagram?) for a) and b) that as well?
What are you stuck with for c) and d)?
(edited 2 years ago)

ill help u if u help me
Original post by mqb2766
Can you upload a picture of the full question and if youve done any working (diagram?) for a) and b) that as well?
What are you stuck with for c) and d)?

with c and d, i/ve got an answer but i think i did it all wrong
Reply 4

Can you upload your working, even it might not be correct.
Thats a different question.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by AvneetBa1ns
ill help u if u help me

It's against forum rules to give answers

wait sorry i sent the wrong question, but i also need help on that one
Original post by AvneetBa1ns
ill help u if u help me

Original post by mqb2766
Can you upload your working, even it might not be correct.
Thats a different question.

ill send you my working now
Reply 8

Will have a look, but there are lots of worked questions for oblique collisions etc on madasmaths, such as
https://www.madasmaths.com/archive/maths_booklets/mechanics/m3_m4_oblique_collisions.pdf
(edited 2 years ago)

I can't see any working - just the question .
those are my answers
Must admit, I'm confused by 1a). The answer is correct (its given) but how did you get the equations?

Note a clear diagram with variables marked on and a clear statement about which property you're using helps both you and the marker. Maybe have a look through some of the madasmaths oblique collisions (or your textbook) if necessary.
(edited 2 years ago)
those are my answers

Just in case you're interested, the derivation in 1a) isn't correct. The restitution equation isn't correct as the post impact motion of B isn't considered in the seperation speed, so effectively you're modelling sphere A rebounding off a wall (B is fixed). Similarly, you don't consider conservation of momentum along the line of centres, which is necessary to sovle the restitution properly. When writing down the original equations, it helps to be clear about properties / terms.
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest