The Student Room Group

Maintenance Loan

Hello everyone,

I’m a year 2 student and I had to work throughout my first year in order to receive the maintenance loan as i didn’t have 5 years of residency in the UK (Only 4) prior to my first academic day.
However, i thought that would only be the case for the 1st year, as from year 2 onwards I could prove that I’ve been a resident in the UK for more than 5 years. Turns out, I still have to apply as a migrant worker for the maintenance loan (and will have to for the remainder of my diploma) because that 5 year rule only applies to students BEFORE starting their course. I didn’t expect that. I’m studying a difficult degree and I’m relying on the maintenance loan to pay off my accommodation, therefore I don’t think i’ll have any time available for work starting from year 3.
Has anyone been in the same situation or does someone know more about what options a person in my position has? Would be greatly appreciated.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Paul Seni
Hello everyone,

I’m a year 2 student and I had to work throughout my first year in order to receive the maintenance loan as i didn’t have 5 years of residency in the UK (Only 4) prior to my first academic day.
However, i thought that would only be the case for the 1st year, as from year 2 onwards I could prove that I’ve been a resident in the UK for more than 5 years. Turns out, I still have to apply as a migrant worker for the maintenance loan (and will have to for the remainder of my diploma) because that 5 year rule only applies to students BEFORE starting their course. I didn’t expect that. I’m studying a difficult degree and I’m relying on the maintenance loan to pay off my accommodation, therefore I don’t think i’ll have any time available for work starting from year 3.
Has anyone been in the same situation or does someone know more about what options a person in my position has? Would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Paul, what is your Nationality and status in the UK?

Please also confirm the date you arrived in the UK and the date your course started.

Thanks, Isaac

Quick Reply