catsareok
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Can you apply to 4 medicine and 1 dentistry and vice versa application on ucas.?

I was just thinking maybe you can for unis that don’t look at the personal statement
midnightskies0
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
It says this on the NHS website:
"For medicine and dentistry courses, you can only make four choices, but you can use your fifth choice for another subject (including dentistry if you apply for medicine or medicine if you apply for dentistry)."

However...
I know someone who applied for 3 medicine and 2 midwifery last year and got rejected from both midwifery courses because they said it was clear from her personal statement that she wanted to be a doctor and not a midwife so definitely consider how your personal statement is used. I know some uni's don't score it but do still read it as a kind of "red flag" check so please check this too.

Good luck
hungrysalamander
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
UCAS allows it but you will be rejected from dentistry for having a medicine ps. It’s the same as leaving your 5th choice blank, there are wiser ways to use your 5th choice.
catsareok
Rep:
?
(Original post by hungrysalamander)
UCAS allows it but you will be rejected from dentistry for having a medicine ps. It’s the same as leaving your 5th choice blank, there are wiser ways to use your 5th choice.
I what if u were to apply to a uni that does not look at the personal statement?
Mesopotamian.
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
You can if you want to be instantly rejected from dentistry.
catsareok
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mesopotamian.)
You can if you want to be instantly rejected from dentistry.
Is that also for unis that don’t look at personal statement?
Medic Mind
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by catsareok)
Is that also for unis that don’t look at personal statement?
Hiya,
All universities will look at your personal statement to some extent, especially for a course such as Dentistry which is high competitive, they want to see what you've learned from your dental work experience and how you displays the qualities of a dentist.

Numra
Year 4 Bristol Dental Student
Medic Mind
catsareok
Rep:
?
(Original post by Medic Mind)
Hiya,
All universities will look at your personal statement to some extent, especially for a course such as Dentistry which is high competitive, they want to see what you've learned from your dental work experience and how you displays the qualities of a dentist.

Numra
Medic Mind
Thank you
catsareok
Rep:
?
(Original post by Medic Mind)
Hiya,

Numra
Medic Mind
Can you apply to a foundation year medicine course as your 5th option ?
hungrysalamander
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I what if u were to apply to a uni that does not look at the personal statement?
1) you need a very high UCAT score (2850+) to apply to dental schools that don’t look at the ps such as Newcastle or Bristol.
2) you will 100% be questioned about why you applied there with a medicine ps
GANFYD
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Can you apply to a foundation year medicine course as your 5th option ?
Not if it has automatic progression to the full course, but you can if it is a standalone Foundation Year (as you have to reapply the following year like everyone else)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling now you've started university?

I'm loving it! (51)
13.93%
I'm enjoying it but I'm still settling in (94)
25.68%
I'm a bit unsure (63)
17.21%
I'm finding things difficult (127)
34.7%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (31)
8.47%

Watched Threads