Parents trying to kick me out. What do I do?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Please help me. I'm 18 and my parents are trying to kick me out. Where do I go? I know about hostels but what are they like? I don't have much money at all. I don't know what to do please help. I don't want to stay at my friends house, I'd feel too guilty doing that
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Please help me. I'm 18 and my parents are trying to kick me out. Where do I go? I know about hostels but what are they like? I don't have much money at all. I don't know what to do please help. I don't want to stay at my friends house, I'd feel too guilty doing that
Have you had an argument with your parents or something? Is it something mendable, so you can stay short-term whilst you sort out something more permanent?
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Reality Check)
Have you had an argument with your parents or something? Is it something mendable, so you can stay short-term whilst you sort out something more permanent?
Yes it's an argument, they pester me and belittle me to get a reaction out of me all the time. I started crying and told them to stop and then they screamed at me telling me to get out. It is mendable I think but I can't stay here anymore it's too much for me
Reality Check
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Yes it's an argument, they pester me and belittle me to get a reaction out of me all the time. I started crying and told them to stop and then they screamed at me telling me to get out. It is mendable I think but I can't stay here anymore it's too much for me
I'd urge you to try to mend fences then, so you have somewhere to stay short-term. Don't end up leaving on terrible terms with no-where to go - this is the worst outcome.

Looking to the immediate future, do you think your relationship with your parents has broken down to the extent that you can no-longer live there? And, realistically, could you move out? For instance, do you have a job, or are you going to university? Staying with friends 'temporarily', isn't really an answer, as you don't want to end up as a sofa surfer going from friend to friend.
Anonymous #1
I'd urge you to try to mend fences then, so you have somewhere to stay short-term. Don't end up leaving on terrible terms with no-where to go - this is the worst outcome.

Looking to the immediate future, do you think your relationship with your parents has broken down to the extent that you can no-longer live there? And, realistically, could you move out? For instance, do you have a job, or are you going to university? Staying with friends 'temporarily', isn't really an answer, as you don't want to end up as a sofa surfer going from friend to friend.
I know I can't mend it anymore, I've tried but it doesn't work. I need to leave eventually but I don't know when. They make wishes that I'd die in my sleep and how they regret having me, how I'm the worst kid they couldve ever had because I don't share their humour. I do have a job, but it's part time. I'm going to university next year, so I have accommodation sorted. I just need something for this year that's all
summerbirdreads
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I know I can't mend it anymore, I've tried but it doesn't work. I need to leave eventually but I don't know when. They make wishes that I'd die in my sleep and how they regret having me, how I'm the worst kid they couldve ever had because I don't share their humour. I do have a job, but it's part time. I'm going to university next year, so I have accommodation sorted. I just need something for this year that's all
try to stay there for one more year and then leave for good.

when your parents are pestering you try ignoring them don't argue back, then eventually they'll stop or won't do it frequently
Reality Check
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Those are comments which no parent should ever make to their child. I'm sorry you have to go through this - do you have support IRL, like siblings or close friends you can rely on?

I would make a concerted effort to see if you can arrange something safe and permanent where you can move out to - from now until you go to University if you feel that would be the best option. I presume you don't have any other family you could stay with?

Have you had a benefits 'checkup', to see what you could be entitled to, eg. Universal credit, Local Housing Allowance, Council Tax benefit etc? All these things will make it more feasible that you can move out.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by summerbirdreads)
try to stay there for one more year and then leave for good.

when your parents are pestering you try ignoring them don't argue back, then eventually they'll stop or won't do it frequently
I've tried it doesn't work they'll sit in my room and yell in my ears they want a reaction out of me

Those are comments which no parent should ever make to their child. I'm sorry you have to go through this - do you have support IRL, like siblings or close friends you can rely on?

I would make a concerted effort to see if you can arrange something safe and permanent where you can move out to - from now until you go to University if you feel that would be the best option. I presume you don't have any other family you could stay with?

Have you had a benefits 'checkup', to see what you could be entitled to, eg. Universal credit, Local Housing Allowance, Council Tax benefit etc? All these things will make it more feasible that you can move out.
I don't have any other family in this country that I could stay at. I have close friends but I'd go to them in a last resort. I don't know what a benefits check up is, is that something I can do online?
Anonymous #2
Report 3 weeks ago
I think you might need to swallow your pride and ask your friends for help, even if its temporary. Get a job ASAP to start earning more. Ask your parents if you can have a month or two weeks or even just a week to sort out future accommodation - they may say no but its worth asking. Go through your stuff and pack anything essential and get rid of anything you don't need - you'll need to have as little stuff as possible to make your life easier.

https://www.homeless.org.uk/search-h...sness-services
Reality Check
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I don't have any other family in this country that I could stay at. I have close friends but I'd go to them in a last resort. I don't know what a benefits check up is, is that something I can do online?
Have a look here:

https://benefits-calculator-2.turn2us.org.uk

This is a good place to start seeing what you might be entitled to (are you under 18, by the way?) - sorry, you've answered that above.
Last edited by Reality Check; 3 weeks ago
summerbirdreads
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I've tried it doesn't work they'll sit in my room and yell in my ears they want a reaction out of me

I feel you mate, my parents are pretty much the same tbh they tell me stuff like how they wish someone will rape and murder me and leave me in a ditch blah blah blah and it was so bad during quarantine but I made a decision to leave for uni and never look back and that kind of gives me so much hope whenever I think about leaving
so whenever they're picking a fight with me and i try my best to not say anything back and then fantasise leaving for uni next year and never looking back and that makes me feel immensely better like that's my coping mechanism
sometimes I listen to music when they're talking lol
Reality Check
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I feel you mate, my parents are pretty much the same tbh they tell me stuff like how they wish someone will rape and murder me and leave me in a ditch blah blah blah
This is terrible - just terrible.
Anonymous #1
Have a look here:

This is a good place to start seeing what you might be entitled to (are you under 18, by the way?) - sorry, you've answered that above.
I'd only get 2.68 a week. How could I live with that??
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago

Is there a teacher you could reach out to? I've supported a student in a similar position to find somewhere to live and get benefits sorted.

I am really sorry to read what is happening to you - you are of value - please never doubt that
Anonymous #1
Have a look here:

I'd only get 2.68 a week

I feel you mate, my parents are pretty much the same tbh they tell me stuff like how they wish someone will rape and murder me and leave me in a ditch blah blah blah and it was so bad during quarantine but I made a decision to leave for uni and never look back and that kind of gives me so much hope whenever I think about leaving
so whenever they're picking a fight with me and i try my best to not say anything back and then fantasise leaving for uni next year and never looking back and that makes me feel immensely better like that's my coping mechanism
sometimes I listen to music when they're talking lol
I'm so sorry that happened to you

That's what's keeping me going as well, going into uni

(Original post by Muttley79)
Is there a teacher you could reach out to? I've supported a student in a similar position to find somewhere to live and get benefits sorted.

I am really sorry to read what is happening to you - you are of value - please never doubt that
Maybe, I could try
summerbirdreads
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
This is terrible - just terrible.
yeah I have horrible trust issues as a result now
Anonymous #1
My messages aren't being sent
Anonymous #1
Reality Check I'd only get 2.68 a week

summerbirdreads I'm so sorry that happened to you That's what's keeping me going too, going to uni

Muttley79 I could try
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Reality Check I'd only get 2.68 a week

summerbirdreads I'm so sorry that happened to you That's what's keeping me going too, going to uni

Muttley79 I could try
You will get more than that - please reach out to someone. No-one deserves to be treated like this ...
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Muttley79)
You will get more than that - please reach out to someone. No-one deserves to be treated like this ...
I'm scared to. I don't want to share a room with a drunk or a druggie
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (218)
56.62%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (50)
12.99%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (44)
11.43%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (33)
8.57%
I haven't started researching yet (23)
5.97%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (17)
4.42%

Watched Threads