Kutie Karen
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
How to cope with high energy bills with rising prices?
Quady
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Kutie Karen)
How to cope with high energy bills with rising prices?
Just change your direct debt 15% higher, that's what I intend to do come October.
Surnia
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Look around for better deals.
See if paying by direct debit or having dual fuel can save you anything.
Look closely at your fuel usage and see if there's anything you can manage better.
Quady
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Surnia)
Look around for better deals.
Better deals than the price cap....?
Surnia
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Quady)
Better deals than the price cap....?
Fixed rate v variable...?
Quady
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Surnia)
Fixed rate v variable...?
Yeah, staying on variable would be cheaper. Unless one views the extra cost I the first six months would be more than outweighed by whatever the price cap in April is.
ReadingMum
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Go back to the old school ways - wear a jumper and socks, snuggle in a blanket in front of the tv, make draught excluders for across doors (long tube filled with rice works well), keep curtains closed to retain heat, don't boil more water than you need for a cuppa, turn off lights when you leave the room, turn the thermostat down 1 degree, monitor usage by reading the meter regularly to avoid surprises.
Kutie Karen
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
There are no deals out there. .
martin7
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Unfortunately not.

On top of ReadingMum's excellent advice: keep your feet off the floor when sitting down; if you have incandescent light bulbs, swap them for LEDs. Also, keep doors shut around the house. If you're cold at night, put an extra blanket on rather than the heating.

Also, and I know this sounds bizarre -- my partner told me about people complaining of an office being cold; the advice was that they should wear something that covered their neck (either as part of their top, or as a separate item like a thin scarf) -- and it worked!
Quady
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
There's the variable rates, excellant deals.
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by ReadingMum)
Go back to the old school ways - wear a jumper and socks, snuggle in a blanket in front of the tv, make draught excluders for across doors (long tube filled with rice works well), keep curtains closed to retain heat, don't boil more water than you need for a cuppa, turn off lights when you leave the room, turn the thermostat down 1 degree, monitor usage by reading the meter regularly to avoid surprises.
People wearing nothing but thin T-shirts in December and complaining about it being 'a bit cold' and having to turn up the thermostat is a bit of a hobby horse of mine.

When did that start? That people essentially felt entitled to dress like they were living in the Seychelles, rather than 52°N and whacked up their heating to compensate?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (317)
57.22%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (77)
13.9%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (62)
11.19%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (49)
8.84%
I haven't started researching yet (28)
5.05%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (21)
3.79%

Watched Threads